Chapter 33 - Hamilton... Again?

That Friday, I was sitting in my AP US History class, waiting for my teacher. The class was hard, but I loved American history, and I lived with people who could help me on my homework. The one downside of APUSH, was that I had it with Nick, whom I despised, but ever since his suspension, he's been kind of off the radar.

Mrs. Cammack walked into class and I took my headphones out. The bell signifying the start of class rang right as she entered.

"Hello class, so as many of you have heard, the Rockefeller Foundation has provided a $1,500,000 grant, to give 20,000 APUSH students the opportunity to see Hamilton. Our school was selected as one of the participants, which is very exciting." She had a big smile on her face, and I sat in my seat laughing quietly to myself. "As a class we will be going to see the show on April 27th!" I grinned.

"Wait, so we get to see Hamilton for free?!" A student near the back asked.

"Not exactly, it will cost every student $10, or a Hamilton. Just like if you won the Hamilton lottery. By a show of hands, how many of you have played the Hamilton lottery?" About half the class raised their hands, including me. "And how many of you have actually seen the show?" Only I raised my hand this time, and the class groaned. "So, today, you all essentially won the Hamilton lottery!"

"So, in April, we're going to go downtown, see some show, and then come back? How many classes will we miss?" Ok, you all know that one chick right? Who is upset about missing class for a field trip and has no outside interests? Yeah, well meet Justina Caprientriss, who actually just referred to Hamilton as 'some show.'

"Well Justina, we will give a brief Hamilton based performance, have a cast Q&A, have lunch, then see the show, and because I know you're going to ask, yes it is optional. We are all invited but we all don't have to attend. Actually no," Mrs. Cammack looked at the paper in her hand, "We're all invited with the exception of Mr. Walter." She looked to the back of the class, where Nick look confused, with one headphone hanging out of his ear and his feet on the desk. "Yes, it says that Mr. Miranda will not allow you to attend any of the showings, fully paid or with the school." Mrs. Cammack directed the end part to Nick.

"What did you do to Lin-Manuel Miranda, Nick?" A boy in our class asked, turning to face him.

"Nothing! I don't know why I'm banned!" I turned around in my seat smiled at Nick, then waved as if to say, 'yes you do'. Luckily no one but him caught on to the point of my smile.

"Anyways, I want you all to be thinking about questions you may have for the cast, but we do have a couple months before we go." She finished and we continued with the class.

When I got home that day, the first thing I did was mention to Lin that my class was going.

"Hello." I knocked on his dressing room door, "come in." He was sitting at a desk on his computer, "Hi! How was school?"

"School was fine, school was fine, so apparently my APUSH class is part of the Rockefeller Foundations APUSH grant. So..."

"Yeah I know, I made the point to ban that one kid, I liked writing that in the letter."

"I liked hearing it in class, so we're going to have a Q&A, am I allowed to say, publicly embarrass any one cast member by asking them a relatively embarrassing question?"

"Are you referring to the picture of Anthony looking in the fridge in his underwear?"

"No, wait, now I am, where can I find that picture?"

"I'll send it to you, and yes, of course, please do. Specifically ask Leslie when he gets dressed, please. I need the youth to know."

"Ok, ok, if you need me to ask any other particularly funny questions, please let me know, it's what I live for." With that I left and I began mentally constructing a list of the possibilities, I loved them all.

Sorry it's so short

Thanks for reading

- Abi