Make It Out Alive

AN: I wrote in Oliver's point of view first because Chelsea is still unconscious in the being of this chapter.

Song: Tombstone by New Years Day

Oliver

I ran my fingers through my hair impatiently. They had been operating on Chelsea for what felt like forever and I didn't know how much longer I could wait before they told me if she was going to be ok or not. All they would tell me so far was that the 'impact caused a lot of damage' and that it was 'too early to tell if she would have any permanent damage.' It was all bullshit. All I wanted to know was that she was alive and breathing.

"She's gonna be fine, mate," Nicholls reassured me, patting my back soothingly. He had been trying to convincing me that she was going to make it out of this fine for the last hour.

"Why did I have to take my eyes off the road?" I questioned rhetorically. It was more of just an angered thought than anything else.

"It's not your fault, Oli. Even if you had been looking at the road, that guy still went through the stop sign. It's his fault, not yours," he replied sympathetically. No matter what he said, it was at least partially my fault. If I hadn't been looking at Melody, even if it was just for a moment, I might have seen the car coming and been able to swerve out of the way. I might not be sitting in a waiting room waiting to find out if I still had a wife.

I let of an agitated sigh and sat back in my chair. "You don't get it," I muttered under my breath. If he heard, he didn't say anything. I tried to get as comfortable as I could in these hard, plastic chairs as I felt a wave of exhaustion come over me. The events of the day were finally catching up to me. I'd probably be reading Melody a bedtime story right now if this whole thing hadn't happened.

I must have let my tiredness get the best of me and fallen asleep, because the next thing I knew, I was being woken up by Nicholls.

"Are you Chelsea Sykes' husband?" a doctor was questioned. I rubbed my eyes and looked up at her, trying to read her expression.

"Yes," I replied, sitting up in the chair. As I did so, I felt every bone in my body crack. Why did waiting room chairs always have to be so uncomfortable?

"Well, Mr. Sykes. I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but... but we were unable to save your wife," the doctor said with sympathy in her voice. I was waiting for her to tell me this was some sort of sick joke, but it never came.

"No," I whispered, shaking my head. This couldn't be true. There was no way Chelsea was dead. This doctor had to be kidding. She had to be ok. How was I suppose to live without her? "No, no, no," I mumbled as my eyes pricked with tears.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Sykes," was all the doctor said before she walked away.

"Mate, wake up," Nicholls ordered, shaking me awake. When I opened my eyes, I could hear someone calling out Chelsea's name. I let out a sigh of relief. It was just a dream. Chelsea wasn't dead. She was fine. I had just dreamt it.

We quickly stood up and walked over to the nurse who had called Chelsea's name. "You're here for Chelsea Sykes?" the nurse questioned. I gave her nod. "Ok, well, she's going to be fine. The surgery went as planned and you can go see her now," the nurse announced. I felt a grin break out on my face as she said the words. She was fine. She was alive. She didn't die. That was all that mattered.

The nurse then told us what room we could find Chelsea in and we made our way to her room. I practically ran there. I just had to see her with my own eyes to reassure myself that she ok especially after that dream. I think the better word for it was nightmare.

As I opened the door, her head shot up. I had to stop myself for gasping at her appearance. I was a bit taken aback by all the cuts and bruises on her face. It looked like she had had to get stitches in a spot on her forehead and she was hooked up to a machine. Despite all of this, I still thought she was beautiful. Anyways, All that matter was that she was alive and well. I didn't really care how many cute and bruises she had.

Chelsea

"Hey, love. How you feeling?" Oliver greeted, sitting down in one of the chairs in the room. He had a slight smile on his face. Something about that smile told me that he had thought I was going to die. I guess it had looked pretty bad. From what they told me, I had been unconscious when they arrived.

"Like shit, but how are the kids?" I replied, my maternal instincts kicking. Melody, Linkin, and Harmony were much more important than myself. If any of them were badly hurt or even dead, I hunt down that other driver and kill him myself.

"They're fine. My mum is watching them," he answered. I blew out a sigh of relief. I don't know what I would do if something happened to them. I'd be lost if one of them died. I guess it was a motherly thing, but I just loved them all so much.

After a few moments of Oliver obsessing over if I was comfortable and if I was in pain, a doctor came in. He announced that they wanted to keep me for a few days to make sure everything was ok. Spending a few days here sounded like torture, but we just thanked him and he left.

"I'm gonna go see if they have anything good in the vending machine," Nicholls announced after the doctor was gone. I could tell he could care less about what snacks were in the vending machine, but could sense that Oliver and I needed some time alone to talk. I mentally sent him a thank you as he walked out the door.

"Chelsea, I am so sorry. I should've never took my eyes off of the road," Oliver blurted out as soon as Nicholls was out of the door. His hazel eyes held a look of sadness. I couldn't believe that he actually thought this was his fault.

"Oliver, it's not your fault. You were looking back at Melody to make sure she was ok. The other driver broke the law and went through a stop sign. You really think it's you're fault?" I replied, putting my hand on top of his in his lap. He looked like he was about to cry.

"But, but, Chelsea, they weren't sure if you were gonna make it and I had a dream that you died and if I had seen that car coming I could've swerved out of the way and I thought you were gonna die," he rambled. I don't think I had ever seen so upset before.

"Oliver, it's ok. I'm alive and I'm hopefully not dying anytime soon," I reassured him. A single tear rolled down his cheek and I used my thumb to wipe it away. Seeing him this upset made me realize how much he really did love me. I knew he loved me, but seeing him like this made me realize that he needed me just as much as I needed him.

"I know. I just... I just can't imagine life without you," he whispered. He stared down at his lap like he was embarrassed to say it. To be honest, I really couldn't imagine living with him either. After all these years, I just got used to him being around to the point that it would be weird to not see him everyday.

We sat in silence for a little while. "I love you," he added a moment later, looking up from his lap.

"I love you, too, Oli," I replied. He then reached over and collided his lips with mine. My lips curled into a smile against his, happy to be kissing.

He suddenly pulled apart from me. "That does't hurt, does it?" he asked, concern laced in voice. He was still so close that I could feel his breath on my skin.

"No," I chuckled. He was so caring and protective that it was cute. "It actually feels good," I added provocatively, raising my eyebrows.

"Well, in that case..." he trailed off. He then locked his lips back on mine and cupped my face with his large hands.

We were so wrapped in kissing that neither of us realized that Nicholls walked back in the room. "Come on, guys. We don't need another kid, especially not one created in a hospital bed," he criticized, shaking his head at us. Both Oliver and myself burst out laughing. God, I was thankful for these two.