I Can See You Tremble

Song: What Are You So Scared Of? by Tonight Alive

Chelsea

It had been about two weeks since Oli's birthday and to be honest, I couldn't be happier. I loved him with all of my heart and I could tell the feelings were mutual. Anyway, Oliver was at Nicholls' for band practice since it was Saturday, which I was happy about because I wasn't feeling well and didn't want him to worry. I had thrown up this morning and now was eating some soup in an attempt to get the shitty taste out of my mouth. I had turned on MTV and was hoping they'd play some good music. While the commercial played, I tried to figure what had made me sick. I hadn't eaten dinner last night so it couldn't be food, but what else could make me puke that much? I let the topic slip my mind for awhile, deciding not to worry about it.

I let my mind wonder to Oli's birthday. I had replayed that night so many times in my head and each time I had to smile. I was really glad he was my first. I had never loved anyone as much as I loved him and even if we broke up tomorrow, I would be satisfied with my first relationship.

The show then came back on, but I wasn't paying attention because I had thought of it. I had thought of a possible reason that I was sick. I felt even more sick just thinking about it. I dropped my spoon in my bowl and stared into space. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest just thinking about my realization. I was sick this morning. Oli and I had had sex two weeks ago. I was a week late. What if I was pregnant?

No, I couldn't be. We had used a condom, but didn't health teachers always say that they was still a tiny chance you could get pregnant? I could not be pregnant. I was fifteen for crying out loud. If I was, my life was totally over. There was no way I would be able to show my face in school again and my mum would call me a whore again. Oh, my god!

Calm down, I told myself. I was getting ahead of myself. I didn't know anything for sure. For all I knew, I was sick from something I ate and my body was just being weird. I took a few deep breaths.

I quickly put my bowl in the sink and ran upstairs to change. There was no way I was going to be able to do anything until I knew if I was really pregnant or not. After I was in a t-shirt and jeans, I ran down the stairs again just as there was a knock at the door. God, this was not the time. I just wanted to run to the CVS and get on with my life.

I opened the door to reveal Oliver standing on the other side. He was so not the person I wanted to see just then. I was hoping it was just a salesman so I could tell them I wasn't buying their fucking product and continue with my life.

"You ok? You're really white," he told me worriedly. He didn't even say hello or anything. He just looked so concerned. I really didn't want to tell him about my hunch, but I wasn't sure there was a way to get around it.

"Um, yeah. I'm fine. I wasn't feeling too well this morning, but I'm fine now," I lied. Well, it was actually only partially a lie since it was true that I wasn't feeling well this morning.

"Maybe you should go lie down or something just to be sure," he told me. He tried to escort me up to my room, but there was no way I was going to just lie down and let my thoughts eat away at me.

"No, I've gotta... um... go somewhere," I told him trying to push pass him. He was a lot stronger than me so I had no luck. Why the fuck did he have to come over then?

"Are you sure you're ok? You're acting kinda weird, baby," he said, still looking pretty worried. I was so upset about the whole pregnancy thing that I didn't even get excited that he called me baby, like I usually did.

"I'm fi-" I started but he cut me off.

"Tell me, Chels," he commanded standing in front of me with his arms crossed over his chest. I took in a huge breath. There was no way to get around now.

Oliver

As just sat there with my mouth open as Chelsea told me about her hunch. She couldn't be. I mean, I wanted children someday, but not when I was seventeen. I couldn't think of a better person to have a kid with, but not now. When we were married and at least about twenty-five would be a lot better. If she was, I'd love the kid with all my heart, but I'd prefer her not to be.

"Wait, so why do you think your pregnant?" I questioned. I had totally blanked out while she was telling me her reasoning because I was still trying to wrap my brain around her first sentence: 'I think I might be pregnant.'

She sighed obviously not wanting to repeat what she had said. "I was sick this morning and I'm, like, a week late," she explained, blushing at the last part. I guess talking about that kind of stuff wasn't something she was totally comfortable about.

"You can't be, though. We used protection," I exclaimed. Did she not get the whole concept of condoms?

"Do you not pay attention in health class? They're always saying that the only was to prevent pregnancy one hundred percent is to not have sex," she replied obvious aggravated with me. She let out another sigh. I really couldn't believe this was happening.

"Well, then, let's go to the CVS or something and get you a pregnancy test," I suggested. She just nodded and we walked out to my car. I think she was mad at me. For what I had no idea.

When we got there, we went in and picked up a test. I had no clue about any of that stuff. I was really just there to pay. After we were handed the bag, I drove to her house and we climbed out. She went in the bathroom, leaving me on the couch. I ran a hand through my hair nervously. I had no idea if she came out and said that in nine months I'd be a father.

"I have to wait three minutes," she told me, coming back into the living room. She sat down next to me and laid her head on my chest. I guess she wasn't angry with me anymore.

"What if it's positive?" she questioned in a whisper. When I looked down at her, she had tears running down her cheeks. I used one of my hands to push back her hair and the other to wipe away her tears.

"Then we are going to be the best damn parents we can and give that baby all the love we have," I told her soothingly. I could tell she was going to say something else, but the alarm on her phone went off signaling that it had been three minutes.

She took a deep breathe and wiped away the tears I had missed from her cheeks before standing up and going into the bathroom. I sat on the couch holding my breathe waiting for the result.