One Thing's Clear

Song: Immaculate Misconception by Motionless In White 

Chelsea

I arrived at Oliver's house at exactly six. I was a bit nervous to say the least. I had already met both his parents and his brother, but they didn't know much about me. What if they didn't think I was good enough for their son after they got to know me?

I knocked on the door and waited. "Hey," Oliver greeted with a huge smile appearing on his face as he pulled open the door. He reached down for a quick kiss and stepped aside to let me in.

"Chelsea! We're so glad you could make it. Dinner will be ready in a few minutes," Mrs. Sykes told me as Oliver escorted me to the living room. "Oliver, go get your brother," she ordered before heading back into the kitchen. He groaned and ran up to go get his younger brother, Tom.

He came down a few moments later with a boy who looked a bit like him trailing behind him. "Hi, Tom," I greeted, stuffing my hands in my pockets nervously.

"Hey," he replied, giving me a warm smile and we follow Oliver into the dining room. Mrs. Sykes was just setting down the food and we took our seats.

Soon, Mr. Sykes joined and we dug in. "So, Chelsea," Mr. Sykes started. I gulped down my food and waited for the endless line of questions. I felt my palms get sweaty and I was just hoping I didn't drop my fork. "Oli told us you're a sophomore and your in science together," he told me. I just nodded not sure if I should say anything.

"Do you know what you want to do when you graduate?" Mrs. Sykes asked curiously. I barely ever shared my aspirations with people. When I had told my mum what I wanted to do, she had laughed in my face and told me I could never make it.

"I want to be an author," I replied with a small smile. Even if it was a silly dream like my mum said, I would love to be able to change someone's life with words like Nicolas Sparks did for me.

"That's sounds lovely. Do you like reading, then?" she questioned, dabbing her mouth with her napkin. Oliver chuckled at the question. He liked to tease me about how much I read, but I knew he was just joking and he could careless.

"I love it," I replied wholeheartedly. If she only knew how much time I spent in the world of the character in whatever book I was reading.

"Could you try to rub that off on Oliver?" she joked, sending Oliver a smile. He just smiled back and looked over at me. I don't think I could even try to get Oliver read. I couldn't even imagine him sitting down with a book that wasn't assigned for school.

"Do you plan going to college?" Mr. Sykes questioned. It felt weird talking about my future. It was something I never talked about. My mother always shot me down when I tried to talk about it and no one else ever asked. It actually felt nice to have them interested. 

"Hopefully I'll be able to," I replied. I had been saving up for college for a long time since I knew my mum wouldn't be much help and unfortunately she was all I had. 

They continued to ask me questions about school and the future. I actually liked talking to them. They didn't judge me at all like most people did. They were so nice to me and practically made me feel like family, which was something that I hadn't felt since before my dad left. 

Oliver

The dinner with Chelsea went surprisingly well. My parents asked her a bunch of questions and she gladly answered them. They seemed satisfied with her answers. My mum seemed impressed with Chelsea wanting to be an author. I guess that was more impressive than wanting to be in band. Don't get me wrong, my parents were proud of me, but my mum was definitely impressed with Chelsea. 

After dessert, my mum said Chelsea could stay for awhile so we headed upstairs. We settled on my bed and I put my arm around her. 

"That was actually a bit enjoyable," she told me, resting her head on my chest and snuggled closer to me. I smiled as I felt her body on mine. 

"I think they really like you," I responding, rubbing her back. She smiled up at me a planted a kiss on my cheek. Could she get any more perfect?

"I think so, too. They're so nice. Nicer than my own mother," she agreed. I cracked a smile at the last part. I knew the situation with her mum was serious, but she was always so causal about that I had to smile. I guess she was just used to it. 

"I told you they would love you. I knew my mum already liked you," I told her, kissing the top of her head. I could practically feel her smiling. 

The time went way to fast. Too fast. Soon i was glancing at the time. My mum said Chelsea could stay till eight and it was about 7:55. 

"You wanna start walking home?" I asked as she sat up and nodded after looking at the time. I could see the sadness at the thought of going home. I wasn't sure if it was the thought of leaving me, which I was hoping it was, or the thought of going home to see her mother. 

We made our way down the steps. "Thank you for having me," Chelsea told my parents who were in the living room. She gave them a warm smile as they stood up from the couch. 

"Oh, Chelsea, it was our pleasure. You're welcome here anytime," my mum told her, putting a hand on her back. 

"It was nice to get to know you, Chelsea," my dad told her. I could tell they really loved her. She was pretty much a parents' dream: smart, ambitious, polite, nice. There wasn't much wrong with her. 

"Thank you for dinner," she said obviously grateful. She told me she skipped dinner a lot because she didn't want to eat with her mum. That was probably why she was so tiny. 

I held the door open for her and we walked to the sidewalk. It was dark out, but I could still see her beautiful features. I slipped my hand into hers. Her hand was so tiny that I always felt like I was holding a toddler's hand. All too soon her house came into view. We walked up to her porch and she looked up at. 

"Tell your mum she's a really good cook for me," she told me with a smile. I had to say that my mum could make a good meal and considering Chelsea didn't eat dinner too often, I'm sure she thought it was delicious. 

"I will," I replied, returning her smile. I reach down for a kiss. As always, her lips felt soft against mine.  I felt the butterflies in my stomach explode. 

Our perfect kiss was interrupted by her front door opening. I quickly pulled away and felt my face warm up. Chelsea's face was as red as I'm sure mine was. We both looked over to see her mum in the doorframe. Chelsea blew out a sigh. 

"I'll see you tomorrow," she told me. I just nodded and headed towards the sidewalk reluctantly. I stuffed my hands into my pockets still a bit embarrassed. 

When I got to the sidewalk, I heard Chelsea's mum start talking. "What, were you banging him, you little whore?" she asked nastily. The comment made me stop in my tracks. I was stick of people calling my girlfriend that. 

"God, mum. I just met him," Chelsea replied defensively as I angrily stomped back up to her house. Chelsea turned around to see my furious face. "Oli!" she exclaimed shocked. 

"Your daughter is not a whore. She is the most amazing person I have ever met. She is beautiful, smart, funny, kind and I can't imagine why you hate her so much. I think you need to be grateful that you have such an amazing daughter and stop treating her like crap," I told her mum sternly. As soon as I was done, they both just stood there looking at me their eyes wide. I quickly stomped back to the sidewalk and hurried home. What had come over me? I couldn't have done that a month ago. Chelsea had changed me and it was definitely for the better.