36 - discovery

"Harley" I look up from my phone to see Pam staring into her laptop screen.

"What?" I ask and sit up on her bed. My homework lies scattered across her covers. Long forgotten since I've gotten here.

"Why do you have a large J looking scar on the palm of your hand?" The mention of the cut sends my heart beating rapidly.

"It's not a J. I cut my hand a long time ago cutting up some vegetables. I guess it hasn't fully healed yet" I shrug but my subconscious has other plans.

Instead of remaining calm a small memory replays in my mind from the day after I got the cut.

I had just arrived from Jacks place to my home and my mom was currently sitting on the couch watching re-runs of the Bachelor.

Everything would've been fine if I had just gone upstairs to change into a long sleeve shirt but I wasn't thinking clearly at the moment.

Instead I walked into the living room to say hi to her.

As I bent down to place a small kiss on her cheek she noticed the scar forming.

"What's this?" She asks worriedly as she tugged my hand.

"Who did this to you Harleen?!" She was furious.

"It's nothing mom" I told her but she wasn't having it.

"I swear if you don't tell me what happened to you right now I will call the police and tell them you've been assaulted!" She yelled at me and I ripped my hand from her grasp.

"I did this to myself!" I tell right back.

"What?" She asks in utter shock. I honestly don't know where I'm going with this.

"Yeah, I did this to myself" I nod and she shakes her head.

"What? Why?" She asks confused and I laugh.

"I don't know, mom! Because I felt like it?" I tell her with a laugh that has me in tears.

"Honey" she says softly before I fall apart in her arms. As any good mom would she held my in her grip as I cried.

Still to this day I have no fucking clue why I fell apart. Was it for distraction? Was it because I was legitimately sad? The world may never know.

Pam's voice brings me out of my mind and I shake my head to get rid of the reoccurring memory.

"Sorry what did you say?" I look up at her.

"I asked you why you have a jagged J looking scar on your palm" she points to my hand and I flip it over.

"Oh, I told you. I cut it while I was cutting up some vegetables" I shrug and stand up to stretch.

"Look Harley, I've noticed that injury a long time ago. I decided to wait until you were ready to speak up but you never did. It's been three weeks Harley. What are you hiding?" She asks frustrated.

"Nothing. Because there's nothing to hide. I cut it while cutting up some vegetables. Sorry if I don't notify you of the little mundane things that happen in my life" I walk out of her room and down the hallway in hopes of hearing the last of it. Of course, luck isn't on my side today.

"That's bullshit and you know it" i hear her yell and I roll my eyes.

I enter the bathroom but forget to lock it seeing as how Pam enters without force.

"Jack did that to you" she accuses and I spin around so fast it nearly gave me whiplash.

"No! He would never!" I say offended but she scoffs.

"Cut the crap Harley. You think we don't notice the fights you two get into. You think we don't notice the bruises that appear the next day? He's hurting you Harley!" She yells and her voice echoes inside the small room.

"Stop" I whisper as I slowly back away from her.

"Your relationship with him is toxic. He cheated on you for gods sakes. And you took him back. What's wrong with you? Do you like being hurt?" She asks on disbelief.

"Please stop" I say again as my back hits the wall.

"Stop what? Telling you the truth? Telling you what's right in front of you? No, I won't stop. You know why? Because your my best friend and I care about your well being Harley" I slide down the wall and rest my arms on my bent knees.

"You need to stop seeing him. You need to break it off. Who knows what he could do to you" she speaks softly but I shake my head repeatedly.

"I can't do that Pam. I just can't" I tell her brokenly.

"Is it because your afraid at what he would do to you? Because if that's the case we could easily involve the police-" at the mention of the law I interrupt her.

"No! No police" I shake my head.

"Fine but you need to promise me you'll stop seeing him" I stare into her eyes pleading that she doesn't do this but she's already made up her mind.

"Harley, promise me you'll end things with Jack. If you refuse I'll have to get the police involved" I take a deep breath and nod.

"Good. Now, how about I order some pizza" she smiles and helps me stand up. I give her a fake smile as we walk out of the bathroom.

I laugh a little as I take back my seat on the bed.

Your a delusional bitch if you think threatening me will make me stop seeing Jack.