Chapter 4: Homefront

When Shadow arrives she pulled aside by Artemis and Robin says "Good save" "What's going on?" Raven asks trowing some batarangs to whoever is attacking "No clue, but we're sitting ducks here" Robin says and they run of, or try to since water it blocking the way and sends them crashing against the wall, they manage to get to the kitchen and Robin stops for a moment "The air vent" Artemis and Shadow at the same time "I'm just downloading the cave blueprints" Robin says, but upon hearing footsteps they all hide in there "So what did happen?" Shadow asks again as they take a short break "Not sure, come on" "Great, my second day and our lives are at stake" the young girl mumbles as the keep going "Down here" Robin says and they all go down coming into some sort of... boiler room, but they can't catch their breath as one of the unknown enemies sets the place on fire "And of we go" Artemis says, they still didn't know who they were fighting, just that they were going to get killed somehow, after some time of running they arrive in the library "There should be a secret passage here somewhere behind one of the bookcases" "Seriously, cliche much?" Artemis asks and Shadow says "Wait till you see the batcave, upon hearing more footsteps they hide behind a bookcase, well Shadow continues her search for the entrance "Artemis, Robin" a robotic voice says and Artemis says "It's Red Tornado!", she comes from behind the bookcase, but Robin pushes her out of the way just in time "Yes on the red, no on the tornado" he says "This one" Robin says, opening it, the bookcases behind them falling down, in the hallway Artemis stops them "Did you know Tornado had siblings?" "No, but they seem to know all the weaknesses" Shadow says and she adds "So we can't do too risky things" "Attention Robin, attention Artemis, you have 10 minutes to surrender" the robotic voice comes over the com and both mentions teens look at Shadow "You weren't mentioned, so they don't know you, you can surprise them" Artemis says and Robin says "Nah, she's too much like me, unless you have some sort of weird weapon thingy in that belt of yours", Shadow starts going through he gear, different batarangs, different marbles and some stuff that doesn't matter "Why do you have that?" Robin asks taking a small device "Oh that, it causes electric shocks, I can put them on my glove, see?" Shadow says putting the device on her gloves and sparks come from it "Not very useful though" she says deactivating it, but keeping it around her glove "I have another one, but it's not perfect and dangerous to use" she says and they keep moving as time is ticking.

So after arriving in the hangar they hear Wally says "Look out!" and they dive under again "I'm almost out of arrows" Artemis says, the three had the water robot at one side and the other at the other side "Distract her" Robin says and Shadow scans the situation, one of Robin's birdarangs ends up nearly cutting Wally, but it was in place, they jump back in the water and end up in another air vent "What do we do now?" Artemis asks as they catch their breaths for a while "We save them, that's how it works" Robin says and Shadow tones out the conversation/argument "Wait, they're machines!" Shadow says looking at the two "Robots like Red Tornado, but using this..." she mentions to the device "Will give me a shock too since I'm soaking wet and if this gets anymore water on it it's going to be useless", she takes of her right glove and the device which she had put on her left glove, her gloves were waterproof, much like her uniform, she just had discarded her cape somewhere in the beginning since is was going to slow her down "What are you doing?" Robin asks as they move on, discussing a plan "Improvising" she says and adds "I'll join you in a minute", at the lab they are joined by Shadow again "Figured out why the other one was too dangerous, Batman helped me make it, it's meant for in my glove" she says and asks "So you guys are making an EMP?" "Yep" Robin says and Artemis asks "And where is the generator?" "The hangar", on the way they discus a plan they hide out of sight "Start the distraction" Robin says and Shadow facepalms at what they said "Worst distraction ever" she whispers and it proves to fail since Robin gets caught "Anything metal on you?" Artemis asks shooting her last arrow "Not that I can trow from this distance" Shadow says and she jumps down to hide somewhere before the archer can complain, the robots didn't seem to notice though, nor did they notice that Shadow begins sending SOS signals to the batcave. Artemis watches from the air vent and keeps an eye on Shadow as well as they all watch Robin getting lifted up and blacking out "Shadow Raven, come out and surrender", the young girl comes out, at least one signal must have gotten through, though when they try to attack the girl dodges and lands a punch sending shocks through the robot "Artemis, go" she says in what appears to be a com and Artemis notices a birdarang which she picks up "The glove is weakening the shocks it's sending back, but I don't know how long I can hold on" "Got it", but before she can move away the male robot grabs Shadow by her throat "Stay... away... wait for Bats..." she manages before grabbing the robots wrist with both hands sending a huge shock, but it backfired too and the robot drops Shadow, who is knocked out, but the robot is down for a short while too.

This leaves Artemis on her own and she backs away, she was on her own now, she starts crawling away, looking at strange bird-a-rang, it looked like a raven, she puts it away and falls down, landing in Wally's souvenir room "Maybe the league will figure out something is wrong soon, Shadow did send SOS signals to the batcave, she spots the arrow and she sits up, she knew what to do now, if she could pretend to surrender and shoot the arrow so she could finish the circuit the robots would be shut down. At the hangar Wally and Connor look up as the lift door opens "I surrender, stop the clock" Artemis says, her eyes trailing to her fallen companions and she stops for a moment to check on Shadow and Robin, both weren't moving at all, and Megan and Kaldur weren't doing any better, the water level rises forcing Wally and Connor to take a deep breath as she walks to the robots, as the male one holds out his hand she jumps up it before using his head and she dodges fire by jumping from the other robot's head, she shoots the arrow, which lands exactly where she wants it to and the robots shut down, the fire disappears and the water level lowers again "Kaldur how's M'gann?!" Connor shouts from downstairs and Kaldur says "She breaths, I believe she will recover. What of Robin and Raven?", Artemis runs over to Robin first and she slowly puts one hand on his chest and one near his neck and he coughs up water "He's breathing too" she says and moves to Shadow who is still breathing "Raven is knocked out cold, but she'll be fine", Robin gets up and runs over "What did she do?" he asks and Artemis says "She shocked one of the robots and it backfired thanks to her soaked uniform", Raven coughs too and she holds her head, her neck slightly bruised "Thank god you're alright" Robin says hugging the girl and Artemis smiles at the kind gesture.

When Red Tornado arrives Robin and Artemis quickly explains what happens while the archer has to stop Shadow from punching the android "I was not aware I had relations" the android says floating over "The pulse wore of!" KF and Robin says, no one knows for sure what happens, but Red Tornado turns to them and starts sucking all the air out of the room "Can't breath" Artemis says, watching her friend black out and she too blacks out.