13. Graveyard Shift

*Matty's Perspective*

It seemed like just yesterday since my date with Sloane and I was on edge. I hadn't heard from her in a week, except the occasional glance in class. I had to do something. I'd have to confront her after class tomorrow. Better yet after I finished band practice.

"Hey dude! Earth to Matty!" George yelled over the drums.

"Oh hey what's up?"

"where are you right now? You're physically here but your mind isn't! You've been singing the same line for half an hour man!" George whined.

I realize once again I let my thoughts of Sloane distract me from practice. 

"Sorry guys, can we call it quits for tonight and maybe pick up again tomorrow. I'm just tired." I put down the mic and wandered to my room before I hear a response. I plop on my bed and just lay there until I hear a ping from my phone.

Sloane: Where are you?

I immediately text back:

Home. What's up?

Sloane: I'm restless & i need a ride plz

I sit up in bed and rapidly text back.

On my way!

When I arrive at Sloane's place, she's already outside sitting on the steps in a black turtle neck and jeans, with black converse on her feet. Her hair was pulled up in the messiest bun I had ever seen. She wore no makeup and she looked like she had been crying.

Once she was in the car I decided to ask her what was going on.

"I don't want to talk about it at the moment, do you mind driving to the cemetery on Cedar Grove avenue?"

I could hear the scratchiness in her voice, which let me know she had been crying for a long time. So I obeyed and began to drive. My mind racing on all the reasons why would be driving to a cemetery on a random evening.

As I pulled into the parking lot, she began to unbuckle her seat belt. I parked and we got out.

"You don't have to go with me Matty, you can stay in the car and wait." She began walking through the cemetery. So I followed her until she stood between two gravestones and placed her hands on each one. She raised her face up to the sky, took a deep breathe and began to sob. The sobs started out silent, but then they began to shake her whole body. She dropped to her knees on the ground and lay there in the damp, cold soil.

And I watched her lay like that crying and shivering for an hour before I couldn't bear to watch anymore. I walked over to her and kneeled down next to her.

"Hey love, we should head home before you get unbelievably sick." I wipe the tears that haven't dried from underneath her eyes. 

"I can't go, it's his birthday. Please I can't. Don't make me go." And on she continued with those four phrases until I laid down next to her, pulled her into my arms, and rocked her until we both fell asleep. 

***Hey guys! I hope you like the story so far! Sorry I've been busy with school and work! But I promise I'll update once a week! I'm committed now guys! I promise lol Feedback would be nice and votes too!***