20. One Year Later

It's been a year since I last saw Matty. And in that year I have moved out of Mica's place and into my own. A one bedroom not too far from her place. I started driving my car and I haven't had one drink. I am still healing from the loss i suffered, but now I can breathe and know I deserve to take up space and exist.

I dropped my guitar class after finding out Matty was still sleeping with the girl I found him inside of and I havent been back to school since then. The thought of seeing him just made me sick.

After that I focused on my mental health and found I had no place for the emotional olympics Matty had in store for me. I started journaling and I even picked up a hobby, knitting.

As I'm laying in my bed, delaying the start of the day, my phone starts ringing. I turn it over to see Mica calling me.

"Hey Mica," I mumble groggily.

"Babes guess what!!!!?" Mica screams through the phone. I can tell by the way she is screaming that this is groundbreaking news. I immediately sit up and grip my phone in my hand.

"What's happened? What's going on?" I reply while trying to wipe the slob from my face.

"George proposed to me!!! We're getting married!" She continues to simultaneously scream and cry while I scream and wish her congratulations. Before we get off the phone I agree to meet her for lunch later.

When the phone call ends I lay in bed looking at my white ceiling, smiling knowing how long Mica has wanted this proposal. Shes been obsessed with the idea of marriage since I've known her. When we were kids she was always a bride for Halloween. I quickly think about how young we are, 20, and I silently hope that age is in fact just a number. I know for sure George and Mica are meant for one another and Im so excited for my best friend.

Before I leave the house to meet Mica, I throw on a black slip skirt, a cropped olive green camisole and my black doc marten sandals. I tie my hair into a bun and leave two strands out to frame my face. I hop on the highway to get to the diner and find the best parking spot when I get there. I know shes always late so I sit in my car for a second just listening to what the radios playing.

I can't help that my mind wanders to Matty, now knowing that my best friend is marrying his best friend. Once again my head is flooded with thoughts of Matty and that blonde girl and I have to shake the thoughts away before I end up in a social media deep dive.

Before I know it Mica is knocking on my window and rushing me out of my car.