twenty

Connor's POV

"Troye?" I whispered.

He hummed in response, but didn't reply.

"Troye Boy?" I raised my voice slightly.

"Don't talk to me." He huffed.

I laughed. "We should go. We've been out here for ages."

"But it's not even dark." He protested.

"Still, it's getting cold." I pointed out.

"I'm a very warm person. I'll just hug you." He shrugged.

"No, let's just go." I tugged on his sleeve.

He sighed. "Someone doesn't want to hug me."

"I'm sure you give very nice hugs, but we really should go." I nudged him and rolled over.

As I sat up, I felt a small pull on my hair. I looked over to see Troye pull his arm back.

"There was a piece of grass in your hair." He explained, when he saw my irritated look.

"Oh, thanks." I replied sheepishly. "Let's actually go now. Like seriously."

"Fine." He pouted, sitting upright.

He stayed seated as I stood up and tried to fold the mat back up. I tried pulling the mat out from under him, but didn't get very far, as he sat and laughed at my efforts.

"Get up." I complained.

"Pull me up, then." He raised his arms up.

I let out an exaggerated sigh, and grabbed his hands. With little to no effort, he jumped up and brushed himself off.

I gave him a look. "Did you really need me to pull you up? Or were you just too lazy?"

He shook his head. "Nope."

"Nope, what?" I asked.

"Nope, I didn't need you to pull me up." He picked up a corner of the picnic mat.

"So, too lazy, then." I shook my head.

"Nope." He repeated.

"Then?" I raised my eyebrows.

"I just wanted to hold your hand." He said, with a shrug.

"Wow, okay. I didn't know you were such a romantic." I scoffed, before I turned away, so he couldn't see the blush that was slowly rising on my cheeks.

He let go of the mat and ran in front of me. "Ooh, is Connie blushing?"

"Ew, don't call me that." I grimaced.

"Avoiding the question, are we?" He wiggled his eyebrows.

"I told you, I'm just cold." I lied, hitting him lightly.

Without another word, he wrapped his arms around me and rested his chin on my shoulder.

"What are you doing?" I asked, laying my cheek on his collarbone.

"What does it look like?" He replied, his hair tickling my neck. "I'm trying to warm you up."

"Oh. Well, thanks." I mumbled, gently joining my hands around his back. "You're actually not a bad hugger, you know."

"What did I tell you?" He laughed.

I didn't reply, but let myself relax further into his arms. Two weeks ago, I would've never imagined I'd be hugging Troye Mellet in the middle of a park. Luckily, there was no one around to question what we were doing. And honestly, I didn't want it any other way.