eight

Connor's POV

"Connor!"

"What?" I sat up quickly, rubbing my eyes. It took me a while to realise that there was no one in my room, and that the voice had come from outside my room.

"Let me in." Zoe's voice floated in from outside, quickly followed by a couple knocks on my door.

"Yeah, just a second." I sighed, made my way to the door and opened it. "Hey. What's up?"

"What's up is that we have to meet our tutees in less than 30 minutes and you look like you just woke up from your winter hibernation or something." She pointed out.

Urgently, I looked down at my watch, before realising that she was right. "Oh, shit. I completely forgot."

"Connor Joel Franta. Did I not just remind you about it literally yesterday after school?" She asked, with her hands on her hips.

"Um, maybe?" It came out like a question. I rushed around my room, chucking on a beanie and grabbing my phone. "What do we need to bring?"

"They have paper there and the student will be bringing the work they need help with, so all we need to bring is ourselves and a pen, I think." She answered.

"Okay, cool. How do I look?" I asked, spinning around quickly for her to see.

"You look less tired than you did a minute ago." She shrugged.

"No, seriously. Do I look okay?" I worried, adjusting my beanie.

"You look fine. Why are you so worried? It's just a meetup." She frowned.

"I don't know. I just want to make a good impression, I guess. Besides, who knows? I might get a really cute boy." I joked, grinning.

"Okay, okay. Are you ready? Because if you want to make a good impression, it's probably best if we're not late." She hurried, pulling me out into the corridor.

I turned around to lock the door, before following her down the stairs.

"Wait, do we get paid today?" I asked, as we crossed the road, campus coming into sight.

Zoe laughed. "I have no idea. I guess we'll see if they suddenly hand us $15 or not."

We ran the rest of the way, before we finally reached the library.

"Are we early?" I panted, bending over.

"Yeah, by five minutes." She said, not seeming tired or out of breath.

"You made me run and we still end up being early?" I puffed. "How are you not even tired?"

"Because, unlike you, I actually exercise regularly." She pointed out, like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"You do?" I frowned, surprised. "Since when?"

"Since last month..." She trailed off. "I thought you knew."

"Well, I didn't. Fitness freak." I muttered, standing up straight.

She gasped, dramatically. "We should actually go, or we're going to be late for real."

"Okay, fine." I grunted, following her, as she walked into the library.

All of the classes were over for the day, with the exception of a couple Biology and Calculus after-school lectures. The whole campus was practically empty, and anyone who was still at school was in class or in the library, most likely for the tutoring meetup. I twirled my pen in my right hand, as I walked towards the large line of tables that had been set up earlier.