nine

Connor's POV

"Okay, so as you can see, this means that the equation for this pattern is 3 to the power of x plus 3." I finished, writing it down so Troye could see.

I looked up and saw him nodding slowly. "Okay... I think I'm starting to kind of understand it."

"Kind of? Are you still confused?" I asked, frowning at him.

"I think I just need some practice." He stated.

"Okay, well, I could bring some questions from my old textbook for you to do next time." I suggested, giving him the piece of paper filled with my notes.

"Thanks." He smiled, and it almost seemed genuine. That was, until it changed into his usual, cocky smirk. "And maybe next time, we could do it in my room."

I felt all hope for humanity slowly drift away from me. "And maybe next time, someone could actually finally tell you what a huge idiot you are."

"As long as that person is you, then that's okay." He grinned, cheekily.

Completely done with the conversation, I looked at my watch. "Oh, look. It's 5:30. Time to go. Bye."

He raised his eyebrows at me. "We live right next to each other, so how about we walk back together?"

"Yeah, how about no?" I shot back, quickly. "Besides, I need to wait for Zoe."

I gestured towards my best friend, who was finishing up her tutoring session with Ingrid. She glanced at me and gave me a quick nod, telling me that she was nearly done.

"Wow, okay, then." Troye laughed. "Maybe another time, then."

"Yeah, and before then, maybe you'll be able to find another boy who's actually stupid enough to fall for your pathetic pick-up lines." I said, turning to face Zoe fully.

I didn't bother turning around when I heard Troye stand up and mutter "bye" to me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him turn around and walk out of the library. After bringing my attention solely back to Zoe and Ingrid, they shook hands and Zoe breathed a sigh of relief, as Ingrid walked away with a smile on her face.

"Phew, that went better than I expected. I was scared I'd get a complete douche or something." She sighed, facing me. "Can't say the same for you, though. How'd it go?"

I laughed, bitterly. "Funny you should ask that. You know exactly how it went."

"Yeah, it was a bit hard trying to concentrate on my own thing when all I could hear was you two bickering the whole time." She pointed out, giggling.

"It's not my fault." I argued. "He was the one who was being completely insufferable."

"You really hate him, don't you?" She asked.

"Of course I do. I don't know who wouldn't." I muttered. "I don't even know how he ended up getting into every single boy's pants."

"So, you definitely don't want him in yours?" She wiggled her eyebrows.

"No. Definitely not. Never in a million years." I confirmed, determinedly.

"It's kind of funny how you got assigned to him though, despite the lack of friendliness between you two. Or should I say, the lack of friendliness from you, because I can see that he's trying to be nice."

"Try being in my position, and you'll see just how funny it really is. I don't even know how you and everyone else seems to think that he's actually nice. He's obviously just trying to get every boy in bed, like he gets a fucking award at the end or something." I complained. "I'm treating him as well as he deserves."