eighteen

Connor's POV

"So, is there anything you want to tell me?" Zoe asked, looking at me expectantly.

I finished writing down the notes from the board and turned to face her. "What do you mean?"

"I think you know what I mean." She raised an eyebrow.

I sighed in response. "There's nothing to tell."

"Oh, so there's nothing to tell about how you went for coffee with Troye, the same boy you kept saying you hated a week ago?" She asked.

I shrugged, nonchalantly. "Nothing at all. We went out for coffee because he wanted to pay for the tutoring session in some way."

"Couldn't he have just paid you the $15? You know, in cash?" She looked up at the board, writing down the last sentence of notes.

"Apparently not." I said.

"I'm kind of surprised you're not ranting about what a manslut he is right now, to be quite honest." She stated.

"Honestly? He's not that bad." I replied.

She frowned. "Since when? What's changed your mind?"

"I don't know. I got to know him better, I guess." I explained.

"You mean, from that epically long phone call the other night?" She laughed.

"How do you know about that?" I asked quickly.

"Connor, I'm not dumb." She rolled her eyes. "I know the tutees all have the numbers of their tutors, and I also know that you only called your mum a week ago. You only call her every two weeks."

"So? Maybe I just wanted to talk to her." I argued.

"Yeah, that might be true, but I also may have seen your call log..." She trailed off.

My eyes widened. "Zoe! Do you know what "privacy" means?"

"No." She shook her head. "Besides, what I really want to know is how you managed to talk to him for five hours and not hang up."

"How do you know we talked for that long?" I asked.

"Call log, remember?" She pointed out.

"You're not creepy at all." I scoffed. "But seriously, we were just talking, and then by the time we were done, it had already been five hours. I don't know."

"So, what did you talk about during those five hours that made you change your tune about him?" She questioned.

"Nothing much. Just random stuff. He promised he'd be nice to me from now on, though, which was kind of surprising." I told her.

"Wait, actually?" She gasped.

"Connor? Zoe?" Mr Green interrupted. "Are you two talking about something related to maths?"

"Yes." Zoe nodded. "We're just talking about the tutoring programme."

He raised his eyebrows. "Okay, well, I'm about to continue the lesson, so if you could pay attention now, that would be excellent."

I nodded with a grin. "Okay."

"Thank you." He said, before turning around to face the board.

He had projected a small graph onto the board, and was pointing out some trends that we were supposed to take notes on. I picked up my pencil and started copying them down, as Zoe did the same.

"Wait." Zoe whispered to me urgently, scribbling down some words.

"What?" I whispered back.

"So, Troye paid for the coffee yesterday, right?" She asked quietly.