ten

Connor's POV

"Connor, did you hear me?"

I snapped out of my daze and turned to look at Zoe, who sat with her eyebrows raised.

"Wait, sorry, what?" I asked, quickly.

She sighed and rolled her eyes. "I told you to meet me outside the cafe after school. Alfie's got his free period last so he said he'd probably be there earlier."

I nodded, slowly. "Oh, okay."

"What are you thinking about?" She asked me, after making sure Mr Green couldn't hear us.

"I don't know." I replied. And it was true. My mind had been a blank for the whole day and it felt as if there was a void in my mind that needed to be filled. "Nothing in particular. I think I'm just tired."

"Okay, well, you've got free next, right?" She questioned.

"Yeah." I answered.

"Then you need to go to your room and rest, okay?" She raised her eyebrows.

"But I've got homework to do." I complained.

"Rest." She stated.

"But-" I tried.

"Rest." She repeated. "You know you want to."

I grinned. "Well, can't argue with that."

I turned back to the front and tried to get through the rest of the lesson.

Preferably without falling asleep.

---

"Okay, class dismissed! I'll see you all tomorrow." Mr Green called, taking a seat at his desk.

I let out a sigh of relief, knowing I was finally able to go back to my room for a well-deserved nap. Zoe and I walked, side-by-side towards the dorms. She still had another class before lunch, but luckily for me, it was in the nearest block to the dorms, which meant I didn't have to drag myself to my room alone.

As we stopped outside the big door to the boys' wing, I felt as if I was a prisoner being escorted to my cell. The only difference? I couldn't wait to reach my 'cell'.

"You better get some rest." Zoe warned.

"Yeah, of course, I will." I waved her off, tiredly.

"Okay, good. Because I don't want you falling asleep in case I need you to rescue me from my coffee thingy with Alfie." She narrowed her eyes at me.

Even though I was extremely tired, I was still able to see that she was ecstatic about her meetup with Alfie, whether it be a date or not. Seeing that small twinkle in her eyes and her smile grow every time she mentioned his name made me feel something inside. I wasn't exactly sure what it was. Happiness for Zoe? The urge to make sure her heart wasn't broken?

Jealousy?

My thoughts were interrupted when Zoe started waving her hand in front of my face.

"What are you thinking about, now?" She asked, concerned.

"N-nothing." I cleared my throat, before repeating, "Nothing."

"Are you sure? You've been really out of it today." She furrowed her eyebrows together.

I nodded. "Yeah, I'm just exhausted."

She hummed in response, not seeming like she believed me. She let it slide, but I knew she'd end up asking me about it again later. After a few seconds of silence, she finally spoke again.