The Trouble With Matey

Start from the beginning

"Hansy, I was just trying to help." I repeated softly, keeping my tears at bay. "I just wanted to fix what I done to you and Pj."

"I don't need you to fix anything! Leave me alone, i'm done with your shit!" he growled, before he stormed off. I made a move to follow him, but Laurel turned to me.

"Maybe you should let me go. I'll cool him down." She muttered, frowning at me sympathetically. I nodded silently, and watched as she chased after Hans.

I looked over to Pj who looked heartbroken. I turned away from her, riddled with guilt. Hans was right, I had to stop trying to change things. I had to stop butting into people's lives. Who was I to take matters into my own hands? Out of all my schemes, I've probably screwed Hans over the most. If I hadn't came along, he and Pj would still be friends. They would still have each other to look after. But I had ruined that.

He was right, I had realized. My plans are always ridiculous, and they cause more harm than good.

"I'm going to drive Pj to her house." Reese said, breaking the silence. Pj swiped a stray tear and nodded, following Reese.

"Hey Pj." I said softly. She turned to me, her brown eyes hollowed and empty. I closed my eyes and rode the guilt I had felt. "I'm sorry, this is all my fault."

"No." she shook her head, "It was me, not you who he wanted to hurt.....Thanks for trying though. Um, I'll see you around." she forced a small smile and trailed slowly behind Reese.

"Hey kid, it's going to be okay." Ezra smiled in an attempt to lift my spirits. When he saw that it wasn't going to work he ruffled my hair like he always did. I think it was a means to get a reaction from me, but I didn't have it in me to fight him back.

"I'm sorry Ezra. I'm sorry I drag you guys into all my stupid plans." I frowned.

"I'm not sorry and quite frankly I don't think anyone else is. You give our life purpose kid." he winked. I smiled halfheartedly, but I knew I had became an inconvenience to all my friends. Ezra followed after Reese and Pj and got a lift from them.

I looked around and found that Nate and I were the only ones left. I was pretty sure Laurel and Hans left. I doubt he would come back after what he just said. I didn't blame him. I didn't blame anyone, but myself.

Nate wrapped his arm around me and tugged me into a hug. I didn't fight it, and let him envelope me in his arms. I buried my face into his hoodie and let silent tears trail down my eyes. "He didn't mean any of that doll face." He murmured, pressing his lips against my hair. I shook my head, refusing to believe him.

"I just..." I trailed off, pausing to let a small sob wrack my body.

"I know." He sighed, rubbing the small of my back. "You just wanted to help. He understands that and he's not mad at you for that. I think seeing Pj just really set him off, like a trigger. I swear in a couple days he'll come around." he assured me.

I pushed away from him, I was sure my face was puffy from all the crying, "A couple days! He's gotta hate me more than that. He won't talk to me ever again Nate. I really screwed up bad this time!"

"Don't be so hard on yourself Matey." He sighed, "You are a handful, and crazy, sometimes psychotic. But that's what everyone loves about you, you use your madness to help people." he smiled his dimpled smile, and usually it would make the world just a little bit better. But it wasn't helping me, because I knew I was wrong today.

"Name one time I've helped anyone." I raised my eyebrow, defensively. Nate reached for my hand and held it.

"I can name about three." He smirked, "The first time was when you wanted to prove to Pj that she liked Hans."