Chapter Thirty-One

Khadijah

The first thing I did when I woke up is check my phone, as usual. I was not expecting to have so much notifications when I usually have like 10. First, I looked at my messages and people that I haven't talked to in months suddenly were communicating with me.

Micheal 4:17 am
Why you do ole boy like that

I laughed for a good minute at that even the situation wasn't supposed to be funny. Micheal was always the right guy to make me smile. It's sad that we actually haven't been talking for a pretty long time but it's good to know that he didn't forget about me.

James 6:00 am
Are you alright?

James is another guy that I seemed to just cut off. After the whole cheating fiasco, I started completely ignoring him. At first, he tried to talk to me but eventually gave up. He even stopped coming to the bakery. Gosh, he's such a sweet guy. I really do hope he finds the right girl because he deserves her and it's obvious that's not me.

Camilla 6:23 am
Wow, that's the guy you moved to Cali for?

I told Camilla and all my old coworkers that I would keep in touch but that didn't happen. Between moving, settling in, and the drama that was occuring, they totally slipped my mind. I should begin talking to them again since I am planning on moving back, though.

There were a dozen more messages all about Chris and the proposal. I began wondering how all these people knew about it anyway but when I looked at my Instagram notifications, it became apparent. All these stupid gossip blogs like TheShadeRoom and BallerAlert had posted the video of the rejection after someone submitted it to them. For a second, I wanted to know why they would even care but one peek at Chris' Instagram profile let me know. He had 3.4 million followers! I always forget that he's a huge person on the west coast art scene. All the while, I was just thinking of him as the same kid from high school who liked drawing.

I clicked on his most recent photo which was of him and an investor at the art show yesterday. I scrolled through the comments wondering if they were bad and it was pretty much the same thing.

Josiehesser: L

drlovesc: L

Arsenloli: Super L

Tragiclifess: L

A deep sigh escaped my mouth out of pure annoyance. I can't wait for all of this to blow over. For the time being, I hope nobody at work recognizes me as the girl in the video. My hoping didn't work. As soon as I walked into the bakery, my coworkers pretty much attacked me.

"You okay from yesterday?"

"I can't believe it was you! What was going on that night?"

"He must've really fucked up! Usually, you're so nice. I've never seen you so angry before."

"Have you talked to him since?"

And it went on and on and on. I got questioned by my manager, the bakery owner, my coworkers and even customers! My response was a soft smile and a please for some privacy. Once my shift was over, I wasted no time getting my shit and get out of there. And the second I was on the sidewalk, Chris pulled up in front on me. I walked over to his side of the car and began to speak.

"Where should we talk?" I inquired.

"There's a bar down the stair," He replied before glancing at his watch, "and it's happy hour."

I didn't say anything, I just walked up the passenger side and got in. We drove quietly to the bar. Once inside, I ordered a Greyhound and began pretty much gulping it down. After I felt tipsy enough, I talked first.