Chapter Seventeen

Chris's POV

I groaned loudly at the annoying sound of a phone ringing. It completely ruined my sleep.

"Answer your fucking phone," I groggily told Khadijah.

"It's your phone, not mine," She said.

I sat up and looked around for my phone. I grabbed it off of the nightstand and looked at the name. It was Mariah, a long-time client of mine. I cleared my throat before answering.

"Hey Chris," Mariah greeted as soon as I answered.

"Hey Mariah. How are you?" I asked, using my business voice.

"I'm good, thanks for asking. How are you?"

"I'm fine. So, what can I do for you today?"

"You're supposed to deliver my painting at two o'clock but something came up and I won't be home at that time. Can you bring it to me at one?" Mariah requested.

"Yeah, no problem. I'll see you soon."

"Thank you so much!"

Mariah and I said goodbye in unison before I hung up. It was almost twelve so I decided to get out of bed and get ready to go. When I tried to get up, Khadijah grabbed me by my hand and pulled me back down. She crawled on top of me and laid her head on my chest.

"Don't go," She said. "You're so warm."

I was going to reply until I heard Khadijah's yawning. I looked down to see her eyes fluttering shut. Within seconds, she fell asleep. I stared at her face for a few minutes. Not to be weird, but she was just really, really beautiful. I loved her black curls that framed her angelic face perfectly. I loved her bright smile that seemed to literally light up her face. I especially loved her dark brown eyes. Khadijah was better than any past girl I've been with, looks-wise and personality-wise but I cheated on her. The shame of cheating on her never went away. At this moment when she was laying in my arms, it was at an all time high. It was making me feel worse, looking at her so I slipped her out of my arms. I gently got off the bed, trying not to wake her. I went into the bathroom and hopped in the shower, hoping that it would somehow make me feel better.

I need to just forget that I cheated on Khadijah. It happened awhile ago and I won't do it again. I'm moving on. Khadijah and I are going to be living together. Well, she hasn't decided what she wants to do yet but I'm sure she's leaning towards moving here. We're both happy so there is no need to keep thinking about negative things from the past. What she doesn't know, won't hurt her.

I got out of the shower to see Khadijah was still sleeping. I had enough time to cook breakfast so I might as well make make some for the both of us. I was hungry as hell and Khadijah loves food so I made a huge stack of pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage and grits. Just as I poured some orange juice, I heard footsteps approaching. Khadijah went over to the island and sat down. She had her hair wrapped in a towel indicating that she just showered . I placed the cup of OJ infront of her before leaning down and pecking her lips.

"Good morning baby," She smiled.

"Mornin'. You sleep good?" I asked.

Khadijah stuffed some bacon into her mouth while nodding her head.

"I was sleeping good until your phone woke me up. Who was that anyway?"

"It was a client of mine. I need to go deliver a painting today," I answered.

"Can I go with you?"

"If you want. You gotta stay in the car the whole time, though."

"Thats okay. After you're done with that, I need you to show me around. Like where the grocery store is and the mall. Oh, and we need to go find some stores and restaurants that are hiring,"