Chapter 14

Khadijah's POV

James opened the door to the restaurant and stepped aside.

"Ladies first," He ushered Maya and I inside.

I appreciated his chivarly. I'd never met a guy like James before. He was all about manners and politeness. He was young, only 20, yet he seemed more mature and sophisticated than me.

"Thank you," Maya and I said at the same time.

"Reservation for Maxwell," James told the waiter.

James Maxwell. Just from his name, I could tell that he came from a wealthy family. I could also tell by the Rolls Royce that he drove. And the Versace scarf that laid around his neck. His was very well-off which made me wonder what he was doing going to dinner with a girl like me?

The waiter directed all four of us towards a small, round table that was somewhat isolated from everybody else. Back here, we couldn't hear other peoples conversations and we were hidden since the lighting was dim. We sat down and handed menus. After ordering our drinks, we finally got a chance to speak and get to know eachother. It was supposed to be a "double date" but it was more like 2 indivual dates sitting at the same table. Maya and her date, Alex, talked quietly amongst eachother leaving me to face James all alone.

"Khadijah, tell me something intersting about yourself," James said after taking a sip of wine.

I shyly shrugged my shoulders.

"I really can't think of anything interesting about me."

"C'mon, there has to be something. Tell me about your family."

"I'm a single child who doesn't live with her parents. See, I told you my life isn't interesting."

"What do your parents do?" James asked.

That was a weird question. It was a very personal question. I don't know why I proceeded to tell this stranger my family history.

"Um, my parents aren't in the picture."

A pained look came over James's face.

"If you don't mind me asking, what happened?"

"I don't know, actually. They walked out on me 2 decades ago and there h-hasn't been any contact since th-then," I answered.

My voice was breaking and I knew the tears were ready to flow. We needed to change the topic quickly.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that," James frowned.

"It's okay. What about you? What do your parents do?"

"My parents are co-owners of a Fortune 500 company," James revealed.

My eyes widened in shock. I knew he had money but I wasn't thinking he had that much! I'm on a dinner date with the son of multi-millionaires.

"Wow. Your life must be amazing," I stated.

I can only imagine how lavish his lifestyle is. I wish I had a percent of the money James had.

"I'm not that exciting or interesting either. I focus mostly on college. I study a lot."

A 20-year old guy in college who doesn't party. James sure is one of a kind.

"What are you majoring in?"

"I'm in law school to become a lawyer," He replied.

"Is everyone ready to order?" The waiter asked.

I've came here before so I ordered what I usually get. The food came rather quick, just under 20 minutes. I'm not sure why, but the atmosphere change. James and I had small talk but the conversation didn't flow like before. Actually, I don't think it really ever flowed. James didn't much of a personality. He didn't like to make jokes and laugh. He liked to ask questions. The dinner seemed more like an interview.