Chapter Twenty-Nine

Khadijah's POV

"Baby, I can't even put into words how much I love you. I know for a fact that you're the love of my life, my soulmate. I know you're mad right now but I swear to god, I'll do better just for you. I want us to be together, forever," Chris said looking right into my eyes.

He tossed the microphone to the side and pulled out a small box. He began to get down on one knee.

Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god. Is this really happening?

"Khadijah, will make me the happiest man alive by marrying me?"

I took a step back in an attempt to comprehend what was going on. Chris's eyes were sparkling and his pearly whites were showing. He pushed the huge diamond closer to me. All eyes were on us. My face began to blush at all the unwanted attention. I heard a few whispers of 'say yes!' but it was like I was frozen.

"C'mon baby. Say something," Chris urged me, quietly.

The very first word that came to my mind ending up tumbling out of my mouth. "What?!"

Now, Chris's face was blushing. He looked just as embarrassed as I did. Good. He slightly pushed the ring even closer to me in an attempt to make me mutter the word yes. Not happening. I stepped farther away from Chris and loudly scoffed.

"No. Hell no!" I proclaimed with a small chuckle at the end.

Chris stood up and began to close the distance between us. I stepped even farther away and began searching for the nearest exit so I could get as far away from here as possible. The closest door was behind me. I had no idea where it led to but I started going towards it anyway. Chris muttered something to me but I couldn't hear it over the sound of my pulse pounding. I was so angry I felt like I would have a heart attack. As I finally got to the door, I turned around to get one more thing off my chest.

"You need help, you know that? You're crazy if you thought that this," I waved my hands around frantically, "was going to work. And anybody who helped Chris come up with this stupid plan is fucking crazy too!"

A group of people from the local newspaper were taking a bunch of picture and the flash was pissing me off. It made me want to go over to Chris and slap him for putting me in this situation in the first place. However, I knew it was best for me to not make an even bigger fool out of myself. I promptly walked through the door leaving the chaos behind me. The door ended up being a back stage area. I walked around until I got to the lobby. Mama J, Lytrell, Kiana, and Mariah all stood around a visibly  upset Chris. I hid behind some strangers so they wouldn't notice me leaving which they thankfully didn't. Once I got outside, I took a deep breath, glad for the warm breeze that came over me. I requested an Uber and impatiently stood around waiting. I got a price of gum from my handbag and chomped on it like a cow as some form of release for my anger. The Uber came and I jumped in, ignoring the attendees of the art gallery that were staring at me. I gave the driver my location and sat back in the seat with my eyes closed. Why can't I ever be happy?

I thanked the driver before stepping out of the car. The usual people were sitting on the benches outside of the motel. I hurriedly walked up the stairs wanting to be alone, in peace. But of course I couldn't have what I wanted. Chris stood outside of my door, obviously waiting for me. He turned to look at me at the sound of the steps creaking under me.

"Listen, I know. . ." Chris began but I most definitely wasn't listening. My anger was boiling over. I dropped my bag and stomped over to him. At this point, my hands had a mind of their own and I landed a good 3 or 4 hits on his face. I tried to hit him more but he pushed me up on the wall. He hands tightened around my wrists but I wasn't done yet. I kicked him in the shin and I know it hurt because he yelled out in pain. He positioned one knee between my legs to control me. I was thrashing my body, trying to get free from him but it was useless since he was taller and stronger than me. I eventually stopped moving because I was tired and this position was painful.

The hold that Chris had on my arms softened but he didn't completely let them go. He placed a light kiss on my forehead. "Don't be like this," he said, his lips still on me. He lifted his head for second to look me in my eyes before placing another kiss on my temple. "I love you," he said. Chris looked in my eyes again before I felt another kiss on my cheek. "I need you," he said. There was another kiss, this time right on the corner of my lips. "More than anybody," he said. Chris pulled back barely an inch and we held eye contact. I wanted to look away but I couldn't. He leaned so that our lips were brushed together. It wasn't a kiss but it was extremely intimate. "You know that," he said.

"Can you let me go?" I barely mumbled.

Chris put a foot between our bodies. He stared at me. I had just ruined the moment and he was waiting to see what my next move would be. I took a look at Chris. The tie around his neck what loose and wrinkled. He probably pulled on it out of frustration. His lips had a tint of red on them from me and some of my foundation was around his mouth. The dress I was wearing, which was supposed to be tight, was loose and saggy and just plain ugly now. I just knew my make up was messed up at this point. We looked like a damn mess. I was still mad about Chris proposing, and hurt because of Kiana betraying me, and embarrassed to be standing here. I felt so overwhelmed with emotions that I literally started to cry! Right in front of Chris which upset me even more. He tried to wrap his arms around me but I pushed him away.

"God, why would you do that to me? I was humiliated!" I screeched at him.

"You were humiliated? You just turned me down in front on 300 people on my birthday!" He retorted.

"Why would I wanna marry you if we haven't talked in 2 months?! And you know I don't like big crowds and you put me on the spot! And now I look like the bad guy even though it's you! You cheated, you hit me, and you kicked me out!" I screamed.

"Hey!" Another person jumped in the conversation. It was Derek, the guy from the front desk. "I'm not tryna have the cops called again! Either shut up or get out," He ordered Chris before walking away.

I took a deep breath before speaking again.

"Chris, I'm tired of screaming and going back and forth. You should just go," I said.

Chris placed his hands on my face and this time, I didn't move. He wiped my tears away.

"You just need some time. Call me when you ready to talk," He stated.

He walked away after that leaving me standing it the hallway, still a bundle of emotions.