Chapter Twenty-Four

Chris's POV

Nope, I couldn't do it. Khadijah was looking at me all sad with her puppy dog eyes. I know it was killing her that I was being distant. I just couldn't bring myself to admit that I was cheating. I didn't want for her to be even more upset.

"I been stressed out lately, that's all," I told her.

"Stressed out with what?" She asked.

I had to come up with an answer quick. What's the top two things that stresses out the average person? Work and money.

"Some of my customers left me for someone else so I ain't been getting as much money," I replied.

"If you were worried about money, why would buy these expensive ass bracelets?" Khadijah wondered.

She stared at me with squinted eyes. Looking down at the bracelets that were shining in the light, I felt stupid.
I basically just got caught in my lie. I felt silly for saying anything about money now. Khadijah was still waiting for a reply. Besides feeling silly, I was also mad at Khadijah for making me feel like that in the first place.

"Damn, I just wanted to get you something. Always fucking complaining," I angrily muttered.

Khadijah opened her mouth, probably to insult me back, but then shut it. She sighed deeply before throwing herself on the couch.

"Look Chris, I don't wanna fight. I wanna find a solution to this problem," She said while swinging her pointed finger from me to here.

I shrugged. "I don't have a solution."

After some silence, Khadijah cheerfully stood up.

"I think I know why we keep fighting," She stated. I waited patiently for her reason. "It's because we never spend time together!"

"We spend a lot of time together," I said confused.

I see Khadijah for a few hours every single day.

She shook her head. "No, we don't. Spending time and seeing eachother are different things. I see you all the time. But we never sit down and talk about our day or discuss what were making for dinner or politics or anything that real couples talk about."

"Yeah, you right," I said.

"So, are you busy today? I have work at 1 but maybe we can do something before that."

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and went to the calendar. I was busy today. I had another delivery to Mariah. And shit, I had to be there quickly. I completely forgot.

"I gotta deliver a painting today. And I gotta be there I'm like 20 minutes," I told her.

"And how long does that usually take?"

" 'bout 15 minutes."

"Oh! That's perfect!" Khadijah squealed. "It's only 11 o'clock. If I get dressed now I can come with you to deliver the painting so that we can go somewhere right afterwards."

We both rushed off to get ready. I headed to the bathroom while she went to change her clothes. We were done and at Mariah's door in no time.
"Stay in the car," I ordered Khadijah.

"I know. I know. Just hurry back," Khadijah said.

I gave her a peck on the cheek before getting out the car. I grabbed the painting and went to the door. It was open, like it usually is, so I went inside.

"Mariah?" I called out.

"In the kitchen!" She yelled back.

I went to where Mariah was. She sat at the kitchen table eating something.