Chapter 1:

Ivy
******

"Ivy!" My foster mom called.

"Yes." I said getting up from my bed.

"You're gonna be late for school." She said.

"I'm about to leave now." I said grabbing my bookbag and phone before going downstairs.

"Did you eat breakfast?" She asked.

"I'ma grab a banana and eat it on the way to the bus stop." I said.

"I'ma be working late again tonight." She said. I nodded since I'm use to her working overtime. "So you can eat leftovers tonight. I'ma go grocery shopping when I get off tonight."

"Okay." I said.

"I'll call to check on you later and you know to call me if you need anything."

"Okay, see you later." I said.

"Hey Ms. Monica." I heard my friend Tashae's voice when my foster mom opened the front door to leave.

"Mhmm, hey girl she's in the kitchen." My foster mom said.

"Hey Tink." She said calling me my nickname when she entered the kitchen going straight to our pantry.

"Girl get out, you always do that. Eat at your own house." I said when she grabbed a poptart opening it.

"I don't got no quick food at my house right now." She said.

"And we barely do right now. Whatever, come on we are gonna miss the bus."

"What the hell are you doing?" I ask snatching the blunt out of her mouth that she was about to light.

"Come on damn." She said snatching it back.

"Ain't no come on. Don't disrespect this house when you know I like it here and she doesn't even play that type of stuff going on in her house."

"Whatever. Come on I need to smoke before I go to this bullshit ass school."

I rolled my eyes as she walked out the kitchen. I grabbed my water and banana before following her out of the house.

I am 16 in the 11th grade and I live in Chicago. I don't have a close relationship with my foster mom since she works so much, but I love it here. After going from foster home to foster home all my life this is the best one and hopefully the last one until I'm 18 and out of the system.

I've been here for a year so far. She use to get a couple kids at once, but now it's just me. She lost her husband last year and I guess her heart just isn't in being a foster parent anymore.

"Tashae, what's good sexy?" This boy from our school said driving along side where we were walking.

Tashae stuck her middle finger up at him.

"Tinka tink, why ya friend be doing me like this?" He asked speaking to me.

I rolled my eyes ignoring him. I don't get involved with Tashae and her niggas.

"Tashae, come here. I'll drop you off at school." The boy said to her.

"You lucky I wanna smoke this first." She said going over to the car.

"You need a ride Tink?" He asked.

"You know damn well you and Tashae are going to have some type of sex. Thanks for trying to be nice tho." I said and he just laughed.

"No, none of that is going on." Tashae said.

"Sure." I said continuing my walk to the bus stop.

"I'll see you at school, Tink." Tashae called and I threw up a hand.