Chapter 15

Lisa’s POV

Today is the day I spill out everything I got to hide about Craig to my best friend, Ella and Nate –though I don’t even know why Nate is even here in the first place. I tell them everything, every detail from the beginning all the way til the end. “I don’t know where to start, so I assume you know about Craig and me hooking up. So I’ll start how I may have had a small crush on him in 7th grade –”

I turn to Nate then Ella, back to Nate. Nate is sitting comfortable, leaning forward, elbows on his knees, chin cupped in his hands –staring straight at Ella, Ella staring back at him. I can see a tint of pink start to appear on Ella’s cheeks. Once Ella realises how red she is, she turns back to me. They would be so cute together. I continue with my story not caring if they don’t listen, I just need to get this out of my head.

 “When Craig and Adrian had their fight that was when I realised Craig wasn’t the good guy I anticipated. So I knew I had to stop liking him for my sake –in case I got hurt.

-6 months earlier-

It was after school and I was taking Oscar (my younger brother) to the park. I was sitting on of the benches when Craig approached me. I got scared and was going to grab Oscar and run back home, but Craig grabbed my arm and pulled me back.

“I’m not going to hurt you. I just came to bring my brother to the park as well.” He points to a boy, who looks about the same age as Oscar.

I didn’t know what to do. My feelings towards Craig started to reappear. I needed to get out of there as soon as possible until things went the wrong way. I just nod and take ‘The Fault in our Stars’ out of my bag and start to read.

Hoping Craig would get the idea –I don’t want to talk– he has a total different idea –he starts to have a conversation with me.

“So, how are you today?” Craig asks. Well that’s a start.

“Fine.” I give him one word answers. Maybe this time he would back off.

“How old is your little brother?” He asks another question.

“Six.”

“Mine, too. Maybe they can be friends.” Somehow this doesn’t sound like the Craig I know from school. This is the Craig I liked back in 7th grade.

I look up from my book and watch Oscar running around with Craig’s brother. “What’s his name?” I ask him for the first time.

“Cory.”

“That’s a nice name.” I reply, not knowing what else to say. Since I can’t get out of our conversation, I close ‘The Fault in our Stars’ and put it back into my bag.

“Yeah, my mum thought of it before she passed away.” Craig says with sorrow.

What am I supposed to say? “Oh, I’m sorry for your loss.” That’s good enough right?

“It’s okay. It was a long time ago.” He pauses. “Well, I guess I better head off. Take Cory home.” Craig stands up and calls out Cory’s name.

Cory comes running towards his brother, Oscar following behind. “But I want to play with Oscar.” He’s my friend.” Cory is so cute; I can tell he gets his good looks from his older brother.

“You can play with him another time. Lisa is taking Oscar home now.” Craig bends down, so he’s no longer towering over Cory.

“But –”