Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Sunday morning, rain is falling. Steal some covers, share some skin. I sing along to ‘Sunday Morning’ by Maroon 5, on such a beautiful Sunday morning as I get ready for the rest of the day with my best friend.  

It’s sunny out and quite hot, so I decide to wear my high-waisted denim shorts and a chevron tank top. I pair them with my black studded ballet flats. Since my hair was all cray cray this morning, I wave it out using my curling iron, not bothering to put actual effort to make it nice and neat.

I can smell freshly cooked pancakes coming from downstairs. Grabbing my purse and my phone, I run down the stairs, jump onto the island stool and await my plate of pancakes. Adrian was flipping the last of our pancakes before placing some of his homemade whipped cream and drizzling maple syrup on top of the stacked pancakes. Yummo!

“Morning, brother.” I greet Adrian, as he places the plate of heaven in front of me.

“Good morning, lil sis.” He welcomes back, in a way to joyous tone. Adrian seemed different this morning.  Maybe it is something that has to do with his new girlfriend.

“Soooooooo,” Emphasising the ‘oooo’, “How was last night, ay?” I raise my eyebrows as I give him a smile. 

He looks up from his plate of pancakes and looks at me. His face is now glowing and his eyes are now glistening. It was a look I haven’t seen in years.

“Oh, would you look at the time. I’m going to be late to tutor.” Adrian looks at his wrist with an imaginary watch on it. He’s going to have to tell me about this mystery girl sooner or later. I’m not going to bother to let him spill the beans just yet.

“This is not the end of it.” I grab my car keys out of my purse. “You’re going to tell me everything later.” I leave my empty plate into the dishwasher and walk out the door, with Adrian behind me.

During the 10 minute car ride, no matter how hard I tried to bring up the topic about last night to Adrian he would always change the subject. Was it really that bad?

I park in front of the 3 story building, as Adrian hops out of the passenger seat onto the footpath and just when Adrian is about to close the door, “I am no longer single.”

“What? What did you just say?” I quickly shout at him, but by the time I finish, he’s run off into the building. That brat.

Throughout my whole drive to Lisa’s house, I couldn’t stop thinking about what just happened. Is Adrian and this mystery girl really going out? I couldn’t wait to meet her. There are so many unanswered questions that I know won’t be answered until Adrian brings it up again.

*****

I honk the horn of my car for the 5th time now. Lisa is taking her bloody time to get ready. She’s only going to Westfields, not like she’s going on a date. Not bothering to disturb the neighbours by honking a 6th time, I just unlock my phone and decide to play Candy Crush Saga. After completing about 4 levels, Lisa finally dashes out of the front door, not bothering to close it behind her and runs into the car. Woah, what happened to her?