Chapter 5

Chapter 5

As the last bell rang indicating everyone can enjoy their weekend, it wasn't really unexpected for everyone to chant, "It's Friday, Friday, got to get down on Friday!". First week of school done, another 10 weeks to go until another school break.

Not bothering to join in with the chants, I decided to just go home. Walking towards my car I see Adrian, Nate and Rob talking while leaning on Nate's Mitsubishi Lancer.

As I walk towards my car, "Ay, El. You up for a movie night?" Adrian asked me.

"Where at? And who's going to be there?" Asking questions myself before answering his question.

"At our place. Me, Rob and Nate and Lisa's up for it, if she doesn't have to babysit her brother. You can invite Jeremiah if you want to." Just at that moment I see Jeremiah walk into the car park.

"Alright, I'm up for it. I'll go ask Jeremiah right now. I'll be back." Running off to talk to Jeremiah. I can feel all eyes are on me.

Once he saw me approach him, an instant smile grew on his face and stopped walking.

"Hey, you want to come over for a movie night?" Please say yes, please say yes.

"Yeah, okay." He replied without hesitation. "What time does this thing start?"

Adrian didn't exactly tell me, "I have no idea, but I can drive you to my place now. I'm pretty sure everyone else would go to my place right after we get out of here."

He looked at me all confused. "Oh- there are other people?" Thinking out loud, but I just acted like I didn't hear anything. "Where's your car?"

"Right over there." Pointing at my car, I realised Adrian and Nate were still standing near my car, watching our every move. "Oh, we better go. My brother is waiting."

Walking towards my car, Adrian gave us details on what's happening. Adrian was going home with Nate to clean the place up. Adrian told Rob to pick up Lisa if she was coming and buy drinks and snacks on their way home. But he didn't tell Jeremiah and me to do anything... So I just suggested I take Jeremiah home to get changed.

******

Turning on the ignition, "So, where do you live?" I asked.

"Turn right here, then left, it's the 5th house on the right." Nodding as I take in the directions and drive out of the school parking lot.

I drove into his driveway admiring the building before me. It's a two story house, double the size of an ordinary football field. It was massive. I had no idea he was this rich to be able to afford this type of house. Now I feel embarrassed to take him to my place. What if he judges me, thinks I'm not rich enough for him. Oh well, who cares.

Stepping foot in the house was like paradise. The inside was as beautiful as it was on the outside. I couldn't handle how rich he is. Straight forward there were the stairs that obviously lead upstairs. The stairs diverged into two different ways leading to different hallways.  

How many rooms does this place have?

On the left of the door was the living room, but by the looks of it, it looks more like a theatre room, with a massive plasma TV; the size of a single garage door. The plush couches were shaped in an 'L', place in front of the so called 'TV'.  

We should've spent the afternoon/ night here. Adrian would love this place.

Behind the stairs and underneath them, there were still boxes and boxes of things they probably didn't have time to pack away. On the right, there was a narrow hallway, I guess led to the kitchen and all the other things houses have.

The floor was all tiled in a tinted grey colour; the walls were painted a white, as well as the ceiling and doors. This place is amazing. I wish I lived in a house like this. 

"Mother, I'm home." The British accent breaks my trance. I turn to face Jeremiah, dropping his school bag onto the floor beside the stairs. He gives me a smile and gestures me to follow him.

He leads us to the hallway on our right. I follow him, there were photos already hanged up on the walls. There was this one family photo that was bigger than all the other ones. There were 3 children and a man and women on either side. There were 2 boys and a girl which looks like the youngest out of everyone. They were all so happy in the photo. Such a happy family. I couldn't wait to meet them.

"I'm in here, honey." A woman shouted that echoed in between the walls in this corridor.

As we walk closer to a door, which I assume is the kitchen; I would smell the scent of sautéed chicken making its way into the nostrils of my nose. Yum. Jeremiah walked into the door, with me following behind him.

"Hey, mum. This is Ella. She's a friend from school." Jeremiah introduced me, while his mum is still stirring the chicken that was in the pan.

His mum turned around, making a stop and her eyes bulge out- like they were going to fall out of her eye sockets- as soon as she saw me.

Oh my god. Is there something on my face? Was it something I did? What if she can see me right through me and knows I'm not rich enough to be friends with her son.

Okay, stop overreacting.

Giving her a smile, a give my hand for her to shake. What if she's a germaphobe? I bring my hand back. She's still staring at me like a have two heads or something. I look towards Jeremiah whose standing next to his mum. He gives me a shy grin and nudges his mum with his shoulder.

"Oh sorry, you look like my da-" She stops and I can see a slight tear start to form in her right eye. "I'm Julie. Nice to you meet you, Ella." This time she gives me her hand.

Was she about to say daughter?

I didn't even know Jeremiah had a sister...

Well, you only knew the guy for a week.

"I'm going over Ella's tonight. We're having a movie night with her brother and friends." Jeremiah wasn't asking for permission. But his mother was generous to agree. Rich parents are so carefree.

Walking back into the hallway we walked through earlier. After Julie was trying to say something- I'm guessing, her daughter- I took a quick glimpse of the family photos once again. But come to think of it, the girl in the photo does kind of looks like me... She has the mahogany brown hair, which she obviously gets from their dad, by the looks from the photo. We basically look the same, but we have totally different nose, mouth but the same face structure.

Skimming my eyes through all the other photos before we leave the hallway, I've realised the girl in the family photo aren't in any other photos hanged in the corridor, or anywhere else in the house for that matter.

It was an awkward drive back to my place, but it wasn't an awkward silence since I had the radio turned up so it filled the car. It wasn't fully pumped up like those wanna be ganstas.