NQAF Ch. 20

NQAF Ch. 20

2 Days later…

Taylor’s POV

I woke up to the smell of roses on the pillow next to me. A smile went across my face as I read the “Happy Birthday” card that came with it. I wondered how he even came in but the window was open so I guessed he came through the balcony. I spotted a small box on my bedside table. I opened it carefully, trying not to ruin the box in any way, to find a cupcake with “Happy 17th Birthday” iced on it. My smile widened. I was surprised he went through all of this trouble just for my birthday. My sister hadn’t even made an effort.

I went downstairs to put the roses in a vase.

“Happy birthday!” Tarynn handed me a card. I took the card and put it on the table, not bothering to read it.

“Taylor, you can’t stay mad at me forever. It’s been two days.”

“Of course I can.” I still hadn’t forgiven her and I wasn’t sure I would be able to.

“I’m sorry. I’ve apologised a hundred times already.”

“It’s not enough.” I said plainly.

“At least let me make it up to you.” She said hopefully.

“How?”

“I’ll ask mom and dad to-“

“I don’t care what you do. This is the second time you’ve betrayed my trust. If you want to leave, then leave. I’m staying here.”

She opened her mouth to say something but she closed it after realising that apologies weren’t going to work. Me moving to Atlanta to live with my parents was never going to happen. The bad news was that my parents were still in town, trying to make me agree.

My mom came in. She’d found herself a key, unfortunately. 

“Happy birthday, dear.” She tried to give me a hug but I stepped away slightly.

“I’m sorry this is all so soon for you but your father and I think it’ll be best for you and your sister to live with us again, like a family.”

“I think you mean best for you.”

She came closer. “Please, Taylor. I know you’re upset about what happened but I need for us to be on the same page. Come back-”

 I moved away from her. “That’s not my home anymore.”

“Is that boy the reason why you want to stay? You’re a beautiful girl, you can find many other boys-“

“I don’t want any other boy. Mom, I really like him. I thought you’d understand.”

Her expression was sad. The last thing I wanted to do was argue with her, or with anybody. I just wanted my birthday to be enjoyable for once.

I went out of the door. I realised that I hadn’t spoken to Ashley in a while. She’d sent me a “Happy Birthday” text because she was visiting a relative in another state. I missed her, especially now when I needed her the most.

Jared’s POV

I’d spent the day helping with a surprise party for Taylor. Her parents didn’t know so I wasn’t worried about them turning up. I hadn’t seen her since morning but I really needed to hear her voice. Drew had repeatedly described me as “whipped” and I could see why. Buying flowers and balcony climbing was not something I usually did for girls. But then again, Taylor wasn’t just any girl.