Chapter 39

"Where do you think you're going?"

My blood turned cold. Ice cold. I'm pretty sure my face is drained from blood right now.

I look at both Mike and Thayer and they both looked back at me. Our backs are turned from Chris and my heart is pounding wildly inside my chest.

The sound of the footsteps is getting loud, signalling that Chris is about to walk up near us, "is there anything the three of you need to tell us?"

"On the count of three, when I say run... run," Mike whispers but loud enough for both Thayer and I to hear.

I look at Mike waiting for his go signal. Chris is evidently close to reaching our direction based on his footsteps.

"One..." Mike starts to count.

I prepared myself to run, and I'm afraid that my legs would fail me. I haven't actually practiced my running skills considering my situation. The only run I remember doing is when the day after Annika lashed out on me.

"Two...

I can practically hear our nervous breaths, afraid that at any given moment, our plan would be a total fail.

"Three... run!"

As soon as those words leaves Mike's mouth, I find the three of us running towards the direction Mike is leading. We rounded up a corner so fast my heart rate increased to a thousand time.

I can hear Chris following us behind, his keys on his pockets jingling.

"Mike... w-wait!" I call out, my lungs giving up from the activity, but I'm sure as heck that I couldn't stop running now. But I'm starting to slow down and I'm so scared and nervous.

"Scarlett hurry!" Thayer instructs as he goes beside me helping me up after my left leg starts to fail running. I regain my composure immediately as we continue on running.

"Turn left!," Mike instructs us and we turn on the left corner. Chris is shouting something like stop but I'm too nervous and desperate and scared to even comprehend whatever he is saying.

"Are we close to the exit?" I ask Mike panting.

We come to a stop at the far end of the hallway we're in. All of us breathing heavily, my legs feels week.

Mike leans against the white wall, hands on his knees. He shakes his head still breathing heavily, "we lost the exit."

"What?!" Thayer asks quite in horror.

"Keep running!" Mike says instead as he looks over our back. I look behind me and pretty sure Chris is running after us.

"Stop!" Chris shouts behind us.

We keep running until we reaches another dark section of the building. There aren't any lights in here unlike the previous one we were in.

I'm starting to feel dizzy and weak. I want to stop and take a rest but clearly, resting isn't exactly the safest option right now.