Chapter 27

"Scarlett listen to me!" my dad tried to reach my pace as I ran upstairs trying to take two steps at a time with my short legs

"Scarlett listen to me!" my dad tried to reach my pace as I ran upstairs trying to take two steps at a time with my short legs. I was trying to be fast as Shannon. She was up in our room by now, she's such a fast runner. 

"Scarlett get back down here!" I heard my dad yell once more but I didn't obliged with what he was saying, instead I went into a full sprint once I reached the top of the stairs.

"Shannon!" I called out for my twin sister who was now opening the door to our bedroom, "wait for me."

She turned around and waved at me giggling. I heard my dad yell once again, "Scarlett!"

"Dad, Shannon and I are going to play! We'll go down later," I whined as my dad reached my spot getting hold of my arms. Shannon disappeared into the room and I was a little bit pissed off with my dad for stalling me. Shannon and I are going to play.

"Scarlett," dad spoke, "listen to me."

"Can't it wait?," I asked annoyed, "Shannon and I are going to play and you're stalling me. She's already waiting in our room."

I thought I saw a flicker in his eyes, like a wave of sadness into it. My dad held both of my arms tight as he knelt down and looked me in the eye. I thought I saw a flash of fear and disappointment through his features, "Scar, you can play down the stairs."

"But Shannon is in our room," I protested, "we've been playing down in the living room since this morning."

"Scarlett...," my dad trailed off, shaking his head and looking down onto the floor then back at me, "Shannon wasn't here."

I laughed at my dad, "Dad she's here, she just went into our room."

I looked into the direction of our bedroom and I saw Shannon standing outside the door looking at us, smiling. I diverted my gaze back to my dad again, and this time he was shaking his head again. I noticed a few tears threatening to slip from the corner of his eyes. I felt alarmed, "Dad, what's wrong?"

He averted his gaze from me heaving out a deep breath. I was so confused with what he's acting, I don't understand. When he opened his mouth again and heard the next words that came out of his mouth, I felt my head started to spin.

"Scarlett, Shannon is dead."

~

Mike held both of my cheeks as I broke down in tears, causing the records I am holding to be stained with tears. I just remembered something from my past and I feel my head spinning. My heart race frantically and it's like someone's got hold of my lungs squeezing the air out of it.

"Scarlett, breathe," Mike instructs as he takes the records out of my hands placing it on the table next to the chair I am sitting at. My vision is a blur from the tears that can't stop from flowing out of my eyes.