Chapter seven: Pigeon Killings

Start from the beginning

"Nonsense! I like you too much!" He dismissed with a smile. The smile on his face faded off and he went on with a serious expression, which perked up everyone's attention. "I, as well as the Prefects, will be substituting for some classes while the professors are testifying and looking into the pigeon killings with the ministry of magic."

Everyone began murmuring and gossiping to one another in a hushed tone. "Pigeon killings? But that's illegal!"

"Someone's trying to do dark magic?"

"Are we safe?" Another kid questioned. The whispering came to a halt when Randolph silenced them with a calming hand gesture.

"Relax, everyone. We will catch the person who's doing these crimes, and they will be severely punished. Until then, we ask you to go straight to your dorms after the end of classes. We will be alert on your whereabouts more than ever. Any questions, or shall we begin?"

A student in the far back raised her hand. When she was called on, she stood up from her seat and spoke, "What about clubs or sports? Can we still go to those?"

"I'm afraid we must suspend all after-school activities until we catch the one doing these crimes." A big chunk of the class groaned in disappointment. "I don't like it either, but it must be done for the safety of our students. Let's begin the lesson."

The history lesson was light; only a review of the legend of the first King, the dragon of time, and the infamous tower of sorrow. Basically how Gedonelune, well, became Gedonelune.

A long time ago, specifically two-thousand years ago, lived our first King, King Siegfried. He befriended the dragon of time. The dragon led him to the uncultivated land we know now as Gedonelune.

The dragon of time promised to protect the land with his magical power until Gedonelune's Guardian could do so. With the promise being said, the dragon petrified himself to stone. Leaving his best friend, the King, devastated with sorrow...

Back in my hometown, everyone considered it all to be nothing but a fairytale, but it actually happened. And it turns out that the dragon of time, along with many other treasures from the royal family is being stored in the tower of sorrow, which is somewhere deep in the east forest. Nobody is allowed to enter it and for good reason of course.

The east forest is famously known as the forbidden forest. There have been numerous reports of students going in there and never coming back out. So the headmaster strictly prohibits anyone from going inside the east forest. The more time you spend, the smaller chance you get of being found...

He even talked about Guardians, too. Gods choose them specifically to protect the earth when they can't. Though each Guardian is powerful and different, they all live by a code of honour; only under extreme circumstances, such as a world-wide threat shall they come together. There are supposed to be seven, but Gedonelune has never gotten one for some strange reason.

As a bedtime story, my grandparents went on and on about how vicious and ruthless the Guardians could be if you were bad. Probably just to get me to eat my vegetables. It sure as hell worked...

"-And who's better to ask than one who stumbled into the east forest, and found himself suspended for the whole ordeal, Luca?" All eyes immediately darted towards Luca, expecting him to say something.

"You goodie-goodie-two-shoes better not go there, you hear? Unless you never wanna come back!" Luca cackled as he let out those words.

Eventually, the bell rang and the headmaster exited the room. Once he was gone, the room easily filled with chatter and gossip once again. I shifted my body to face Yukiya, Luca, and Elias. "Who do you guys think is doing it?"

Luca, with no hesitation declared, "There's always that Azusa kid..."

"The foreign-exchange student from Hinomoto? What makes you think that?" Elias asked putting his books away. "It's not because he's foreign, is it?"

"No, it's not that, there's just something off about him," He confessed. "He leaves the dorm late at night when it's past curfew and then disappears off in the woods. Doesn't come back til maybe an hour or two."

"So you do sometimes." Elias pointed out with a huff, the conversation continued as we stood up from our seats to exit the classroom.

"I don't disappear into the woods, especially after the last time," Luca defended while following us out into the hallway. "Apparently I was missing for two days. Only felt like just one, though. The magic makes time wonky in there."

"How did you make it out alive?" I asked, completely flabbergasted by his story. Though Yukiya and Elias were completely unamused.

"I got bored almost instantly and didn't go off too far. They had to use a locator spell to find me."

"What made you decide to go in the forbidden forest?"

"Got a little curious. Why so interested? You wanna go in the tower with me and play seven minutes in heaven?" I could tell Luca was only joking, which was why I rolled my eyes and laughed it off. But when I saw Elias seeming rather upset, I realized he was only doing it to get on his nerves. "See?" He mouthed.

"Well, I should probably get going. See you guys tomorrow!" I bid my goodbye before turning on my heel in the opposite direction to my next class.

"Katherine, wait up," Yukiya called, walking along beside me. "I know it's none of my business, but I overheard you talking to Elias about hearing something weird last night. Did it happen to be a song of some sort? Perhaps a lullaby, maybe?"

I nodded to his question, and his face went into utter shock. "No way, you can hear it too?"

Yukiya nodded eagerly. "When I asked around, nobody said whether or not they heard it, so I was starting to believe that I was simply imagining it. It seems to get clearer the more full the moon is. And it's definitely coming from deep inside the east forest. Since we can hear it, we should-"

Almost on cue, Luca popped in the middle of our talk. "Hate to ruin your moment, but I gotta steal Kate for a little bit, see ya!" He grabbed my wrist and dragged me into a more quieter and isolated hallway, ignoring my protests. "You need to grab the mirror by tonight."

"Are you kidding me!?" I unintentionally raised my voice. "You heard Randolph, the whole place will be on alert! Are you seriously trying to get me expelled?"

Luca only shushes me and continues to speak in a hushed tone, "Look, it's now or never. They'll be least expecting it since Randolph basically scared everyone off with these pigeon killings... If you really want to find out the truth, then find it."

"I'll try to find it, okay? Now, will you get off my back?"

"Find what?" Elias chimed in...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: HAHAHA somebody sent me this!