30. Don't Say Goodbye

IMPORTANT AUTHORS NOTE AT END.

Maddy's Point of View

Before I knew it, we were back on the Hogwarts Express. The Christmas break seemed to go by in a flash and now it was time to go back to the wrath of Umbridge. I sat in the compartment with Fred and George. We had just gotten a whole heap of sweets from the trolley and were now eating them and talking about school.

"How does Umbridge even have this sort of control?" George asked as he unwrapped a pack of Drooble's.
"Because, she's from the Ministry," I explained. "Fudge is scared that Dumbledore wants to steal his position of Minster of Magic."
"Why would Dumbledore do that?" Fred questioned.
"Exactly. He wouldn't," I answered. "But Fudge is delusional."

"So you've got your OWL's very soon," Fred stated, changing the course of the conversation. 

"That I do," I replied with a sigh. "But that means that it's getting closer to the end of the year."
"We're only halfway through the school year though," George commented. 

"Yes, I know, but I don't know what I'm going to do without the pair of you next year," I said with a laugh. 

"Aw, young Maddy being all soppy. How cute!" Fred teased. 

"I never knew you had this much heart," George added. 

"Shut up, the both of you," I said, punching both of them in the arm. 

~*~

So much happened in such a small amount of months. The DA got caught, causing Dumbledore to leave and Umbridge become headmistress, Snape gave Harry Occlumency lessons and myself and the trio found out about Hagrid's half brother, Grawp. But today was the big day. Today was the day that I was to complete my OWL's for Defense Against the Dark Arts. We were gathered in the Great Hall, each on separate desks with a test paper and a quill in front of us. I was thankful that I had spent a lot of time with Hermione in preparation for this very day and was confident in doing well. 

"You will begin your exam now. No cheating, no gum chewing, no communication of any sort will be tolerated. If so, there will be severe consequences," Umbridge announced before sitting down on her pink chair. 
Everyone looked at their test paper and began to write their answers. 

There were many questions of different jinxes and hexes, but due to the system that Umbridge had put in place, a lot of the questions had no sense of realism to them. There were some questions on hexes, curses and jinxes and others on magical creatures. Before I even knew it, I was up to the tenth question. 

Question ten: Name five signs that identify the werewolf.

Easy, I thought. The shape of the snout, it's human-like eyes, it's tufted tail, the full moon and it only responds to the call of its own kind. 

From there, I took that information and put it into my own words. 

Suddenly, I heard the sound of a firework about to go off. Everyone snapped their heads up from their paper and looked to see what it was. Umbridge stood up and approached it and before we knew it, the room erupted in fireworks. Fred and George came in on their broomsticks, the very ones that I had purchased them, and threw around fireworks. Everybody burst out in laughter and joy filled the once dull exam room. Papers flew everywhere and the lights filled everyone with excitement. Everybody abandoned their exams and ran out of the Great Hall, following Fred and George. 

The fireworks had caused every decree that Umbridge had put in place on the wall fall and break, causing everyone to break into further excitement. We all rushed into the courtyard and watched the firework display. Some of the professors, including Professor Flitwick, got involved in the cheering. But suddenly Hermione and I noticed something. Harry was crouched on the ground holding his head in his hands.