28. Undergoing Changes

Maddy's POV

"So, young Maddison Potter..." Sirius began as he paced around the living room. "Are you ready?"
Remus was leaned against the door, watching from afar. Today was the day that I was learning to become an animagus... unregistered of course. I had to carry on the Marauder legacy somehow.
"Who knows how long this will take, Sirius? I don't know why she even wants to be an animagus in the first place?" Remus said with a sigh.
"Can't you see, Moony? She wants to be the fifth Marauder! Just like her father, she is!" Sirius exclaimed with joy causing me to laugh. "Just let her do what she wants. Prongs would be proud. You know, Moony, you're not being a very supportive godfather. I expected better of you."
Remus merely rolled his eyes in response to Sirius' humourous ways.

"As I was saying, Maddy, are you ready?" he asked with a smirk.
"As ready as I'll ever be," I smirked back.
Sirius clapped his hands together. "Very well then, Miss Potter. Let's begin."
"What do I do?" I asked in confusion.
"To begin, you must have the leaf of a mandrake in your mouth for exactly one month," Remus explained.
"A month?" I questioned. "But we don't have a month."
"Which is why I'm going to teach you this difficult non-verbal spell which will help!" Sirius replied.

Sirius began to teach me the spell and after a few hours I had made progress. I had made a fluffy tale and a pair of dog-like ears. After a few more hours, I had acquired  paws, fur and a snout but had not fully transformed into an animagi yet.
"Remember Maddy, it just takes persistence," Sirius said, sitting down on the couch and sighing. It had now been five hours and Sirius, Remus and I were all exhausted.
"I'm going to get some tea and cake. Would the two of you like some?" Remus asked, standing up and walking towards the door. Both of Sirius and I had nodded furiously. Remus then did a nod of acknowledgement and exited the room.

"Come on, Potter. Just one more try," Sirius said.
"Fine!" I whined with a sigh.
I practiced the non-verbal spell one last time but this time felt different. I looked around the room and everything looked more sharper and distinctive. I looked up at Sirius who had a smile plastered across his face.
"Oh, nice dog!" the familiar voice of George rang. Dog? Sirius hadn't transformed. What was he talking about?
I slowly approached the mirror to see an unfamiliar face; it was the face of a husky. My eyes went wide at this sight. I had beautiful grey and white fur with bright green eyes.
"Wait," George said. "Is that Maddy?"
"Well spotted, young man," Sirius said. "Oh Remus, you're back."
"Yes, I am, Padfoot, and it seems as though young Miss Potter here has finally used that spell properly. What a fine husky she makes, eh?"

"Now Maddy, to turn back say this non-verbal spell," Sirius said, saying another spell. I squeezed my eyes shut and opened them to see that I had reverted back to my normal self.
"Whoa!" I exclaimed. "That was so amazing!"
"All that's left to do now, young Potter is to make a nickname for you," he replied. "What do you think, Moony?"
"I don't know, Sirius. Blizzard perhaps? Because of the colour?"
"What about Padfoot the Second?"
"That's just ridiculous? What about Storm?"
"No, not Storm. It has to resemble a feature."
"What about Ash?"
"Why Ash?"
"Because, Padfoot, her coat looks like it's caked in ash."
"Oh. That makes sense."

"I like Ash," I piped up. "It's edgy."
Remus smirked, grateful that the suggestion was his.
"Ash it is," Remus pronounced. "Welcome to the Marauders, Ash."
"Thank you for allowing me to join," I replied with a smirk. "I'm glad to be here."

~*~

By the time that we had finished that learning experience, it was nearing sundown. I had ventured back to my room, exhausted from many hours of practice only to be tackled onto my bed by none other than Fred.
"What are you doing?" I asked with a laugh.

"Aren't I allowed to see my gorgeous girlfriend?" he asked with a grin before leaning in and softly pecking me on the cheek.
"Of course you are," I replied. "I'm exhausted."
"I would be too. George told me that you made a lovely husky, love," he stated.
"I was surprised that it only took me a day to learn. According to Sirius and Remus, it would usually take quite a long time to learn. Sirius thinks it's because I have the determination of both of my parents. I hope he's right," I said with a smile.