Chapter 65

Berlin

Sirens can be heard from outside the vehicle as the one we were in sped down the street.

"So you like cats?" Sam asked Prince or should I say now King T'Challa to break the silence.

"Sam." Steve said like in a quiet warning to tell him to stop.

"What? The dude shows up dressed like a cat, you don't want to know more?" Sam asked Steve rhetorically.

"Your suit...vibranium?"

"The Black Panther has been the protector of Wakanta for generations. Man to man, warrior to warrior. And now because your friend murdered my father, I also wear the mantel of king. So I ask you,  as both warrior and king, how long do you think you can keep your friend safe from me?"

I looked out the window as Steve didn't respond to King T'Challa's question.

-

I stepped out of the van first followed by Steve, Sam and then T'Challa. I've noticed Steve looking over at Bucky who in like a small glass cage strapped down.

Following behind Steve he asked the people in front of us, one of them being Sharon.

"What's going to happen to him?"

"Same thing that ought to happen to you." The man retorted. "Psychological evaluation and extradition."

"This is Everett Ross PD task commander." Sharon stated.

"What about a lawyer?" Steve asked.

"Lawyer that's funny. See that their weapons are placed in lock up. Oh, will write you a receipt." Everett stated.

"I better not look out the window to find someone flying around in that." Sam stated as we followed them.

-

"You'll be provided with an office instead of a cell. Now do me a favor and stay in it." Everett told T'Challa.

"I don't intend on going anywhere." He responded with.

"For the record this is what making things worse looks like." Natasha told Steve as she walked with us.

"He's alive." He stated as we walked into another room. I instantly saw Tony on the phone.

"Colonel Rhodes is on clean up." He said to whomever was on the phone.

"Try not to break anything as we try to fix this." Natasha told the three of us as she walked ahead.

"Consequences? You bet they'll be consequences. Obviously you can quote me on that because I just said it. Anything else? Thank you sir." Tony said before ending the call and walked towards us.

"Consequences?" Steve asked.

"Secretary Ross wants the three on you prosecuted." Tony stated pointing his phone at us. "Had to give him something." He said walking away.

"I'm not getting that shield back am I?" Steve asked.

"Technically it's the governments property." Nat told him. "Wings too." She added.

"That's cold." Sam commented.

"Warmer than jail." Tony called back. 

-

"How do you know Bucky?" Steve asked me as we stood in the glass conference room I guess you can say. He stared at the screens of the control panels and such.  

"Steve-"

"How do you know him?" He asked again his voice laced with anger.

"He told me not to tell you."

"How?" Steve asked once more. I sighed before sitting down.

"It was on a mission...the one I got separated from the group after looking for Loki's scepter in South America. I was running from Hydra agents...I was outnumbered and I wasn't looking where I was going and I bashed my head into a tree, pretty hard at that." I took a deep breath. "I must've blacked out because the next thing I knew I was laying on a bed and this man had a wet cloth on my forehead."

"Bucky." He breathed out. I nodded.

"I asked who he was and he told me to call him Bucky. After telling him who I was I told him I knew you." He looked at me finally. "That you were looking for him but he didn't want to be found Steve. And he especially didn't want me telling you I saw him. He made me promise him. And you know I always keep my promises." His mouth contorted into a straight line before it going back to normal. With his hands on his hips he looked down at the floor. 

"I'm sorry Steve." 

"I know."

"You guys want to see something cool?" Tony asked walking in. "I pulled something out of dad's archives." He stated, setting his jacket on a chair. "FDR signed the Lend-Lease Act with these in 1941." He set the small set of the 2 pens in the case down to show Steve after he sat down himself. "Provided support to the Allies." 

I knew what Tony was doing but I highly doubt it'd work on Steve.

"Some say it brought our country closer to war." Steve says looking up at Tony.

"See without these you wouldn't even be here. I'm trying to..what do you call it, that's an olive branch. Is that what you call it?" Tony brought his hand to his face, making a fist to his mouth. But then decided to stand up putting his suit jacket back on.

"I don't mean to make things difficult Tony."

"No because you're a very polite person." Tony responded with slight sarcasm in his voice.

"When I see a situation headed South, I can't ignore it. Sometimes I wish I could."

"No you don't." Tony retorted. Steve cracked a smile.

"No I don't."

"Sometimes-" Steve began only to be cut off by Tony.

"Sometimes I want to punch you in your perfect teeth."

"Tony." I said, warning him.

"But I don't want to see any of you gone. We need you both. Just sign, we can make the last 24 hours legit." Steve pushed himself up.

"I already made my choice Tony." Steve stated before exiting the room leaving only me and him left.

"Ana-"

"Don't." I cut him off. "This..." I started gesturing to the accords. "It's too complicated."

"Really? It isn't for me." He said.

"Do you have any idea what you're asking of me?" I asked him in a hushed tone. "You put me in a position where I have to bend my morals, where I have to go against every single thing I believe in." I exclaimed.

"I'm trying to keep you and Cap from tearing the avengers apart." I slammed my hands on the table.

"So am I." I said through gritted teeth before storming off away from him.

_______________________________

Vote/Comment