Chapter Twenty-Three

There was a meeting held in the kitchen with the team and the visitors the next morning.

Porcali had discussed with Ben on their own about Sophie's escape and how their safe house was now compromised. The house was not attacked, but Sophie's whereabouts were known and the longer they stayed in the safe house could lead to a surprise attack. And Steven Marshall needed to be placed elsewhere for his safety.

They hadn't moved out sooner only because of Chambers having to recuperate. Ben had been the one to convince Porcali to stay a little longer for the teenager. Porcali was hesitant but trusted Ben immensely so he complied with the request.

However, with Hallden and Mayor Marshall's visit (and Chambers wrestling around with Sam in the backyard), Porcali and Ben gathered the team in the kitchen, making sure to involve the two visitors. Jennings was busily making breakfast for the ones still up in their rooms sound asleep at the early hour of four. The others were over by the table; Porcali at the very end addressing the group with Ben standing beside him with his arms crossed.

"Over the past few hours, I've taken another look at the map of the city and the locations of all the safe houses we have in our jurisdiction," Porcali addressed the group eating. He raised his brows, his eyes looking everyone over. He looked down at the map that Ben handed him and unfolded it on the table top.

Pointing to one section of the city that they were located at, Porcali nodded, "We are at the outskirts of the city. This is the biggest safe house we have that looks like a normal household. The other larger ones are more buildings that we use to have stake outs." He shrugged, nodding to the side, "Due to the large group we have with the addition of civilians, these particular buildings that Carter had already marked with red indicators are the ones we will have to steer from." Porcali looked at Ben who glanced at him with a small nod.

Porcali paused, turning back to stare at the others, "This also means that we will have to split up."

The others in the room stared from Porcali to Ben before they started breaking out into protests all at once. Porcali straightened and looked at Ben with a strained look. Ben, already expecting a reaction, patted Porcali on his shoulder and took his place at the table. He held up his hand and everyone quieted.

He didn't say anything at first. He just narrowed his eyes looking them all over. Ben knew that splitting up the group would be difficult because of how long they had all been in the house together. But it was necessary to keep Steven safe. And it would also mean that his family would be split amongst the group too, which deep down had filled him with panic. But Ben quickly had trust in this team before him that would go to any measures to keep the others safe.

Ben frowned to give himself a more authoritative demeanor and leaned forward with his hands on top of the map looking at the ones in front of him. "I understand that being placed in this house together for so long has grown on you. We've all gotten to know one another better and some of this has led to friendships..." he glanced at Sam beside him who grinned, "—To blossoming relationships—" his eyes looked to the other side of him at Adam and Carter. Then Ben looked at the one behind the group leaning back against the edge of the island with his arms crossed.

"And even long earned reconciliations."

Ben held Nathan's gaze who was staring back with a hard look. Nathan looked away and so then Ben continued to speak to the whole group. "But now it is vital that we set these aside and focus back on what is at stake here. And that is the life of Steven Marshall." Ben straightened, looking down at the map not really able to read it properly despite Carter's neat penmanship of bulleted notes at each dotted location.

"The incident with Sophie had pushed back this meeting that Porcali and myself had discussed on our own. With my son having to heal, there was no use in informing you all of this plan because we didn't want for panic to set in for the others. But now it's extremely important that you all understand—and remember—that you have a job to do."