Chapter Fourteen

Since he was still recovering, Nathan was forbidden of tagging along as one of the guards when Steven was taken into the city. Porcali hadn't minded, but it was Ben who had put his foot down that Nathan wasn't where he was PRIOR to his rib injury.

When the young man held his arms to the side and mentioned with annoyance in his voice that he was NOT a child and that he could take care of himself, Ben would point back with his brows raised and his blue eyes narrowed, "Nathan... I'm NOT going to say it again." Nathan rolled his eyes and curled his lip, mumbling as he shook his head. Ben, unaffected by Nathan's teenage ways, continued with more threat to his voice, "Until I see fit that you are capable of taking on more hard labor, you will stay HERE." He pointed downward when he said 'here'.

"Hard labor?!" Nathan repeated, scoffing.

He threw his hands up and whined, "Ben! I'm twenty-five years old! You can't keep treating me like I'm fucking eight!" The pursed pout Ben was receiving from Nathan would prove that to be false. He was certainly acting eight. And all because he wasn't going to be able to play bodyguard on the field. Grinning, Ben crossed his arms nodding at Nathan's posture.

"Oh, yes. I can see that you are handling this VERY much like a twenty-five year old."

Knowing what Ben meant, Nathan sighed heavily. He wasn't looking forward to being left behind. He wanted to be able to DO SOMETHING. Be useful. Not just walk around the house like he had been doing for a week that he was allowed OUTSIDE of the bedroom he'd staying in. Once he was able to get out of the room, Nathan made sure to return to his bedroom on the first floor.

Ben clamped a hand on Nathan's shoulder and bent his head to make Nathan glance up at him."Look. I KNOW... I know you want to help. But you are not going to help anyone if you don't take it easy. You just got back on your feet, Nate. We have the other four to switch routes with. When the time comes, you will be right back to upholding your position. But til then..." Ben grinned, "I'm withdrawing your title as one of the team leaders." Nathan gave Ben a hard look; his jaw muscles tensing and green eyes narrowing.

Nathan knew he was right though.

He wouldn't be helping anyone if he went along the trips to the city and somehow ran into trouble. He wasn't in pain anymore but risking any injury just when he started moving around would be stupid. And no less place him back in the bed sooner than he blinked. So he reluctantly nodded and watched Ben, Porcali and Carter escort Steven out of the house. Of course, there was that glaring glance thrown his way by Marshall, but Nathan didn't catch it since he was still frowning at the ground with his arms crossed.

Walking aimlessly around the house was driving him crazy.

To keep from just doing nothing, Nathan took his 'time off' to spend one whole day with each of his family members, separately. He concluded that it was crucial for him to show them that he didn't forget about them or that he wasn't glad that they were around. Although they were overjoyed in his return, Nathan couldn't help but feel guilt that he had hurt them so much. But whether they were angry with him, they wouldn't say. Nor would they show it.

The first day Nathan dedicated his time with his brother.

They would go out to the backyard when Jane and Carter weren't occupying it and sit in the middle of it. Nathan wanted to know about Chambers' academics, his new friends, what was different about him, and what was the same. He just wanted to hear his brother talk to him just about himself. Nathan knew from his sister that everyone focused on Nathan's absence that Chambers was being neglected in some ways. So he wanted Chambers to know that Nathan was there for him and that he would be from now on.