Chapter Two

"When you are told you have a curfew, you are expected to follow that curfew!" Lily shouted at her younger brother.

She felt the heat in her cheeks as her eyes narrowed. She knew that her shouting was pointless because she could feel the sixteen year old simply glaring back at her.

Chambers' demeanor had changed severely for the worse these past months. Lily constantly had to wait up for him to walk through the door half drunk and half asleep. Then they'd both proceed to wake the rest of the house with their loud arguing. 

So far, Chambers has only been brave enough to argue back. Lily didn't want it to get to the point where he'd fight back physically. He was filling out more and more every few months; Lily could admit that should they get physical, Chambers would win. 

Lily didn't have to see to know that Chambers was growing either. He's voice was starting to deepen and when she'd touch his shoulders she'd notice that her hand would have to rise a little higher to do so.

Chambers' jaw clenched tightly, shaking his head and throwing his hands up.

"Curfew?! Curfew!? Why the fuck do you give me a curfew when you know damn well that I won't listen to you!" 

He swallowed hard, frowning at his sister. He could see that her green eyes were trying to focus in on where he was so he stayed perfectly still.

Lily sighed in an attempt to lessen the tenseness the room absorbed, "Chambs. I'm just trying to keep you safe." 

She heard her brother growl before feeling his anger rise again. 

"What for? You know what happens when people do good! It doesn't make fuckin' sense of why you keep treating me like I'm in danger! I'm not! I'm here with you guys, aren't I?"

He scowled, holding out his hands, though he knew she couldn't see him, and looked around him.

"Is there a rat somewhere that I should be aware of that will come to attack me in the middle of the night?" he retorted sarcastically. 

Lily frowned, placing her hand on her hips. She huffed, shaking her head.

Chambers knew he was being difficult. He knew. But his sister was only making him be so because she wouldn't back off. If she would just leave him alone, then he wouldn't be such a prick to her. 

And it was really only Lily that he was so mean to.

Chambers knew better than to talk back to Ben. The older man was the only father figure who didn't always treat Chambers as a child, and the teenager didn't ever want to lose the trust he had with the older man. Chambers like that Ben let him be, but would only voice his worries when he's take Chambers out to grab a yogurt down the street. It was their special time to have their heart-to-hearts.

But even Chambers would say only so much to Ben; never really pouring himself into the conversation like he's want to. He trusted the man, of course, but there were some things that hit too close to his heart for Chambers to share with the man.

Adam and Rory were now more uncles to him than just family friends. He'd talk to them when he needed to, more Adam than Rory, but nevertheless he'd have decent conversations with them. Chambers always secretly hope that Adam would come looking for him after Chambers and Lily battled it out in their kitchen.

And Adam, unknowingly, never let him down.

He'd find Chambers in the same place every time; the roof. Chambers would be lying on his back with his feet flat, knees bent, and his hands behind his head. The night sky would calm him greatly and he'd be thinking about numerous things before Adam would come to sit by him. Adam would raise a brow, glancing over his shoulder at Chambers who was staring up at the sky still.