Chapter Thirteen

The two teenagers were sitting on the edge of Chambers' bed and taking turns throwing pebbles they collected from the front yard into a plastic red cup that was aligned in the middle of the room between them and the door.

Ben and Porcali were the ones who were taking Steven into the city every morning until the afternoon, so they didn't require the services of Jennings, Carter, Adam, or Sam. Both leaders were using different routes every day and had always implied that should they need assistance, the others would refer to the route on Carter's map that was pinned on the wall in the kitchen.

The other four had to result to finding something to do with their free time.

Carter would disappear every morning after Steven would leave. No one would see him unless he was entering the kitchen to grab a few oranges and then disappeared again. Jane was just as invisible. She would be in the living room reading a book and then Carter would come out of his room turning the corner to the kitchen that lead to the backyard door, and Jane would jump up leaving her opened book gliding out of sight.

They wouldn't be seen for hours at a time.

Sam and Chambers had walked past the dining room just the other day and found Adam leaning against the back of one of the chairs he had positioned to face the window. The curtains had been pulled away to give him a clear view of the scenery in the backyard.

Adam only sat there with this strange expression on his face and his arms crossed. When the boys walked over to ask him what he was doing, Adam only nodded at the window. Peering outside, the boys' mouths dropped to see Jane and Carter chasing one another around that big ass oak tree that was oddly planted in the middle of the yard.

"NOW I know where he goes off to," Sam mumbled.

He stared in disgust out the window. Jane ran around the trunk of the tree, stretching her neck out to search for Carter. She'd bat her eyelashes narrowing her eyes and took a few steps with her hands curving along the trunk. But then there was Carter walking up behind her, wrapping his arms around her and spinning her away from their view.

It was kind of weird for Sam to see Carter and the rest of the team in 'civilian' clothing. They were always dressed in their USWAT uniforms around one another that no one thought the other OWNED any other kind of clothing. Sam looked down at his own pair of jeans, sneakers, and blue Saosin t-shirt that was bought during one of the trips into the city. He didn't even know what Saosin meant. Sam kept wondering if maybe it was... like... a beach or something.

Sam looked outside again when Chambers laughed at Jane allowing herself to dirty the skirt of her yellow dress as she pounced onto Carter's back, knocking them both to the ground. She wrapped her arms around his neck laughing with her head against the side of his head, Carter joining her humor.

Even Adam smirked being letting his face return to that strange expression again. Sam lowered a brow, glancing at him. He nudged him making Adam look up. He nodded after glancing to make sure Chambers was still enthralled with the show outside.

Sam lowered his head and asked Adam what was wrong with him. "Why are you just sitting here? That's kinda fucking creepy, dude."

Adam rolled his eyes and shook his head, mumbling that he didn't want to talk about it. Sam glanced outside and wondered if maybe Adam liked Jane or something and she happened to be showing Adam who she wanted.

Sam straightened, knowing that if Adam was anything like himself, he'd talk when he wanted to. So he let it go. Instead, he reached behind Adam and lightly shoved Chambers' shoulder. The younger one frowned turning to him and then grinned when Sam nodded for them to take their leave.