Chapter Four

It started out the same. Like always.

The smoke was blinding.

It was surrounding her to no end. She could see nothing in front of her; nor feel anything when she held her arms out in desperation for them to come into contact with something... anything. 

She closed her eyes shut, struggling to swallow with the smoke being absorbed through her nostrils again.

The familiar soothing husky voice that spoke always at this part was right on time. 

"Mara." 

She lifted her eyes to Nathan's. Mara kept his gaze as she opened her mouth opened to smile, "You came for me."

He gave her the same response he always did, "I promised you, didn't I?"

Mara closed her eyes, smiling to hear those words. 

She opened her eyes to smile at him, "I missed you." 

Nathan naturally replied that he missed her too. 

When she could hear the familiar voices calling out to her, Mara didn't look away this time. His eyes were the ones that stuck to the script of following in the direction of the voices.

She waited for the "I think you should get off the floor, imp" and Mara said nothing nodding as pulled her up. 

Their hands still clasped together, Mara knew the voices would now be getting closer. She still wouldn't turn in their direction. He told her that he'd stay with her until they found her.

Mara slowly nodded, "I know."

She searched his eyes desperately; her fingers tightening around his hands and stepping closer to him, whispering, "I trust you." 

He smiled that genuine smile and Mara tilted her head to the side, staring up at him. His hand touched her cheek, his thumb caressing lightly.

She stared into his eyes, knowing that soon he'd recite, "You're safe here. I'll keep you safe until they come." 

 Only he didn't. 

Because his eyes suddenly lifted over her head, where she saw his expression turn dark; his eyes wide and she felt herself shaking all over. 

Mara desperately clung to him and gasped when she heard his voice shatter through her.

"MARA!"

Mara woke up quickly, panting.

She blinked away her sleep, swallowing. She looked up at the ceiling; the calming sensation not doing its job. Mara frowned at the peach ceiling that was blue with the moonlight shining through her window.

She then glanced next to her to see Steven with his back to her. He had the covers off of him and she could see the sweatpants he loved to wear to bed were riding up on his calves. The long sleeve he was wearing blended in with the white sheets they slept on. He was snoring, so she knew her waking up didn't stir him.

Mara laid back into her mattress (her pillow was nowhere to be found), staring up at the ceiling knowing that so much was running through her mind to fall back asleep.

Mara turned on her side to stare at Steven's back. She watched his body rise and flatten to match his breathing. She tucked her hands under her head, frowning that the dream had ended differently.

It wasn't supposed to end that way. It never did.

She flipped onto her back again to stare up at the ceiling. It was frustrating her that the ceiling wasn't calming her like it was supposed to. She growled, throwing the covers off her, swinging her legs off the bed and pulled herself up.