Chapter Twenty-One

Porcali looked at the group in front of him consisting of Jennings, Nathan, Adam, Sam, and Ben. Carter was still on Marshall duty so he'd be stepping this meeting out. They were going down to speak with Chambers newfound friend Sophie.

They all waited a few days to let the drama of the past days settle down. Nathan had been locked in his room for hours the first two days, not wanting to speak to anyone. Not even Ben could get him to open the door. But now Nathan had finally emerged and rarely spoke, but didn't look angry. He just preferred to keep a straight face no matter who spoke to him.

Clapping his hands, Porcali nodded, "Alright. So we are going on down to interrogate Sophie. We have to be cautious with her. She is still a teenager, but a lethal one." Porcali looked at Nathan, lowering a brow, "Are you sure you're up for—"

"Just open the God damn door, Porcali," Nathan interrupted shaking his head.

Porcali sighed, nodding, "Right..."

When Porcali opened the large metal basement door and let it hit the ground it puffed out a cloud of dirt into the air. Porcali coughed, waving his hand in front of his face but then stepped cautiously onto the steps. He flicked on the light by the entrance calling out, "Sophie?"

It was quiet in the basement. And dark even with the dim lighting to the swinging lamp in the middle of the room. There were drops of water that echoed from one corner of the eerie basement onto the metal floor where a puddle must have pooled.

Porcali scanned the area carefully, reaching the bottom of the steps and then turned around to look up, "I don't see her. I think she might be--!" In an instant, Porcali was tugged backwards from everyone's view and they all jumped in quickly.

Adam was the first to reach the inside of the basement and found Sophie backed against the vent where there was better lighting. Sophie had used her handcuffs to wrap around the front of Porcali's neck, and used one of her legs to wind around one of Porcali's to keep him bent on his knees.

Adam could see now just how lethal Sophie could be. The girl had taken down a full grown man to her hold at her mercy. And she didn't look like she'd let up very easily with that dark look she threw at them all once they came down into the room.

Ben stepped forward, tiling his head, "Sophie... my name is Ben Frost." He held up his hand and stopped moving forward when Sophie tugged on the handcuffs choking Porcali. Ben could see Porcali's face reddening and his teeth grit.

"Stay... back,"

she warned. Sophie narrowed her eyes, breathing heavily.

"Okay... okay I'm not moving. But I need you to let the man go. We just want to have a talk. Ask you a couple of questions is all."

Sophie sneered, shaking her head, "Fat chance, Ben. I'm not saying shit to you! To any of you! So stay the hell away from me!" Sophie tugged on the handcuffs again narrowing her eyes until they settled on a familiar face that was making her angrier.

Nathan frowned at the girl glaring at him. It was like the supermarket all over again. Only this time, he wasn't injured. If she even so much as thought of attacking him, he was not holding back. He'd hurt her enough to keep her in place. But he wasn't going to kill her.

"You pathetic... lousy... bastard," Sophie seethed. She shook her head, her jaw muscles tightening. "If she hadn't surprised me I would have fulfilled my promise to myself of ridding the world of the likes of you!" Sophie shook her head, nodding at Ben, "Get out of the way. Have him step up."

Adam lowered a brow as did Sam. Sam sniffed, "Pft... who the hell she think she is barking orders..." Jennings glared at him, shushing him. Ben looked at Nathan, silently warning him to be careful. Nathan nodded and stepped forward, lifting his hands to show Sophie that he wasn't armed.