Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Damn it!" I shouted, as another stop light shined.

  Something was wrong with our baby, my baby, and the stupid fucking traffic lights were only slowing us down from reaching the hospital. Bethany refused for us to call an ambulance, because if that were to happen, media would cause havoc and choas. She was right, but at least with the ambulance we could get to the hospital quicker.

  It scared me to think that Bethany's family ran high risk of miscarriages and pregnancy complications, and from the look on her face, she knew what was happening. I refused to accept if it was a miscarriage. I mean, it would make this whole baby thing be easier to explain to the media, but damn it, I couldn't care less about them. My baby and its safety and health was way more important than the media being informed about it.

"Harry please calm down, you're--"

  The light turned green, and I quickly sped to the hospital, trying not to honk at anyone. Bethany bit her tongue back, after seeing my fear and anger show on my face.

  We finally reached the ER and we rushed inside.

"Hello, how can I--?"

"Please help us! I think my fiancée is pregnant, and I think she is having complications!" I explained, faking my uncertainty of her being pregnant. 

"Alright, wait right here while I call a nurse," The woman behind the desk said.

  Shortly later, a nurse and a wheel chair arrived, and Bethany sat down. I followed the nurse to a room while they sat her on the bed. For the first time in a long time, I prayed that eveything would be alright.

▫◾▫◾▫◾▫◾▫◾▫◾▫

  After extensive testing and scans, the doctor returned, with a clipboard.

"I-Is everything alright?" I asked him, nervous.

  He sighed deeply and sat down on a chair.

"Well, You mentioned how miscarriages run in the family, as well as pregnancy complications. It seems that the umbilical cord was not functioning correctly. Sometimes the basic functions of the umbilical cord and placenta are harder for them to preform because of your family past of pregnancy problems. It seemed that the umbilical cord could not transfer the nutrients the baby needed, and unfortunately, it passed away."

  Bethany began to sob, leaning her head on my shoulder. I felt so numb. I couldn't accept the fact that our child was actually gone. How could this have happened to this innocent child? It didn't deserve to suffer like that. It didn't do anything to the world to get such a hard treatment. All of our pride and happiness slipped away from us before we could even meet it face-to-face. I couldn't hold back the tears running down my cheeks.

"It seems that since you were still still in your first trimester, your body reabsorbed the baby back into the womb. That is called Vanishing Twin Syndrome. It is very normal when you have a miscarriage or when you have the kind of health problems like you and your family have experienced," The doctor explained.

  I sniffled and looked down, unable to talk, as I cried.

"However, I did find something rather interesting," He continued.

"What if I told you guys you were still pregnant?"

  We both looked up in shock.

"H-How is that even possible?" I asked him, confused.

"Mr. Styles, does your family has a history of having twins or even triplets?"

"U-Um, actually yes. On my father's side, actually. But he told me that his side of the family hasn't had twins in the past four generations," I said, sniffling.

  The doctor nodded and grinned.

"I'm sorry you lost one child, but Bethany, you were originally going to have twins."

  I looked at the doctor, my jaw dropped. How the fuck was that even possible?

"S-So, you're saying we are still going to have one child?" Bethany asked, sniffling.

  He nodded, grinning.

"Although under your conditions, you are more likely to have pregnancy complications now, but it has been common to lose one of the two babies when having twins. So, once you guys go back home, I would suggest having weekly or bi-weekly appointments to your doctor to make sure your baby is healthy," He suggested.

  Bethany looked at me with a teary smile and I wiped her tears away, smiling.

"Thank you so much, doctor. If you don't mind, I would appreciate it if you kept this whole thing under wraps until we have this child," I explained.

  The doctor nodded.

"I do it all the time, Mr. Styles. You don't need to worry about it."

  He stood up.

"Your other baby is surprisingly very healthy, so keep doing what you're doing. Bethany, I would suggest to take it easy for the next couple of days, and take your time grieving. Try to stay in bed as much as possible for the next couple of days, and as soon as you two return to the US, see your doctor to check on the baby. You may go now. I'm sorry, Congratulations, and good luck."

  He left, leaving Bethany and I alone.

"We're still going to be parents, Babe," I said, kissing her lips happily.

"We are so damn lucky," She said softly, now wiping off my tears.

"There is no way in Hell we are going to lose this baby too. I can promise that."

▫◾▫◾▫◾▫◾▫◾▫◾▫◾▫

  So I hope none of you guys saw that coming. I did some research to see if some of this stuff was actually possible, and believe it or not, it is possible. Vanishing Twin Syndrome is even a real thing as well. So I hope I actually educated you guys a little bit. 'Cause it definitely educated me. I kind of patted myself on the back for having such a cool and unique plot twist.

Love you Lovelies!

Xoxoxoxo,

- Falling4_HarryStyles