These New Eyes, My New Life: Chapter 29

The next few days were hard, but it got easier with each one. Ashleigh pretended I didn't exist, and I did the same with her. I hadn’t heard about her saying anything more about me. Maybe she'd gotten it all out of her system. Or maybe she was afraid for her life. I wasn’t sure which one. After Nila, Taylor, and a few other people had seen her status, they weren’t very happy about it. They'd commented it on for a very, very long time, having a back and forth cussing, mean, nasty, so sweet fight sticking up for me. It made me feel really good. It made Ashleigh look really bad.

     Now the only friends she had were Madison and her friends. Let's just say Madison wanted to be very popular, and thought she was, but was really nowhere close to it. A lot of people didn't like Madison. But Madison knew Ashleigh was very popular and clung to her as if she was her only door to popularity. Really, they're friendship only brought them both down like a sinking ship- people hated Ashleigh, so Madison becoming BFF's with her made people hate her more, and people hated Madison, so Ashleigh consistently hanging out with her made people hate her more too. It was really just a lose-lose situation.

    On Friday, there was an even bigger issue for Ashleigh. Too bad I didn't feel bad for her.

    All of the cheerleaders and football players were in the gym, stretching and just chilling out until the game started. Me, Taylor, McKenzie, Chris, Nick, Tyler, Ashton, and few other people were in a little group talking. Lance was sitting on the bleachers with his head in his hands, but he wouldn’t tell anyone what was wrong. A few minutes later, Ashleigh came in the gym, dressed appropriately.

    "Mads!" she called, smiling.

    "Hey Ash!" Madison called back, beaming.

    Our entire group looked at each other and then busted out laughing. 

    "Guys, guys, guys! Let's not be mean," I joked.

    They were so stupid, Madison and Ashleigh. I kind of felt- well no, just kidding. I didn't feel bad for them at all.

    I was surprised Lance didn't get up and join them, but when I looked over at him, he was now watching Ashleigh with a very torn expression. I was confused. I was sad that he wasn't 'allowed' to talk to any of us anymore. It wasn’t fair. I loved Lance; he was so much fun. A part of our circle was gone. It was funny how the hole Ashleigh left in our circle was so easily patched.

    "Hey you guys? Is it just me, or does Lance look really upset?" I asked everyone, never taking my eyes off him.

    Everyone turned to look at him.

    "Yeah, he does," McKenzie said.

    "Anyone know what's wrong with him?" Taylor asked.

    "Nah," Nick said.

    "He failed a math test today," Ashton said.

    "That's probably it. You know how his mom is with grades," Chris said.

    Taylor laughed. "She's crazy!"

    But I didn't think that that was what was wrong. While the others went into their old conversation, I continued to watch Lance, worrying.

    I guess he sensed me watching him, and he looked over at me.

    I smiled at him. You okay? I mouthed.

    He brought the corners of his mouth up. It didn't exactly count as a smile. He shrugged to answer my question.

    I'm sorry, I mouthed.