These New Eyes, My New Life: Chapter 27

After fourth period, I went to my locker. Art with Ashleigh had been fun. We sculpted our flowerpots together, laughing and joking the whole time. I really wanted to know why everyone was pissed at Ashleigh. I hadn’t gotten a chance to talk to Nila about it, and I couldn’t wait to find out from Cole. I thought about asking Ashleigh what she did, but I decided not to give anyone away. I know I would hate if they gave me away if I was mad at someone.

    I spotted Chris a few lockers down, about to walk away from some football player who was at his locker. "Chris!" I called.

    He looked over and grinned. He said goodbye to his friend and strode over to me. "Hey Bek! Haven't really seen you today," he said, leaning on the locker next to mine.

    "I know right? What's up?" I asked, putting my binders in and organizing them by period.

    "Nothing much. You know, just school! What about you?" he asked.

    "Oh you know. Painting a picture," I teased, smiling at him.

    He laughed. "Gosh would you hurry up? I'm starving! I'm about to leave you."

    "Okay, okay! Don't leave!" I said, and I grabbed my lunch. "Let's go!" I said, closing my locker.

    "Ugh I have a doctor's appointment today," I said, grimacing.

    "Ew. What time?" he asked.

    "I'm leaving after fifth period and meeting my mom there," I said.

    "Aw! So you're leaving?" he asked.

    I sighed. "Sadly."

    "So how's the boyfriend?" he asked after a few minutes of small talk.

    "He's amazing," I replied. "How's the best friend? I asked, since he didn't have a girlfriend.

    Chris laughed. "He's good! You know how it goes! We hung out this weekend," he said.

    I laughed. "Me and Cole did too!"

    Chris laughed. "Well how was your weekend?"

    "Good. I went to the mall on Saturday and hung out at home on Sunday," I said.

    "Ooh. Who'd you go to the mall with?" he asked.

    "Nila and Ashleigh, duh!" I said.

    Chris looked away. "Oh," he said.

    I looked at him incredibly. "You too?" I asked.

    We walked into the cafeteria, and looked at me. "What do you mean?"

    "Everyone's pissed at Ashleigh! Every time I mention her in front of you, Cole, or Taylor they get all weird! What's going on?" I asked.

    Chris sighed. He was silent all the way to the table, and for a few long beats after we sat down. For once, we were the first people at our table. Chris looked me in the eyes for a moment, his face serious, his eyes sorry.

    "Chris? What is it?" I asked quietly. I had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

    "Bekka, Ashleigh's been stabbing you in the back for about a month now," he said.

    I blinked a few time. "What do you mean?" I asked.

    "She's been saying awful, nasty things about you behind your back, to everyone but your closest friends," he told me.

    "Like what?" I asked. My voice was higher than it should be.

    Chris hesitated, and then looked away.