These New Eyes, My New Life: Chapter 25

Let me explain something to you. The day after somebody bites you for the first time, you do not feel like meeting the cheerleaders for a Starbucks date. Just saying.

    Saturday morning, I felt like crap. My head hurt, my neck was sore, and I felt like I was going to be sick. I didn't look like any of those symptoms. My skin was glowing, my hair was extra shiny, my skin was extra clear and pretty, and all cuts or scratches or bruises I had anywhere were completely gone. All of this definitely made up for the feeling like crap. It was so amazing!

    Last night I'd called Nila to tell her what happened, and to rub it in her face. She thought it was super cool and counted in a vampire way. I rolled my eyes at her and laughed at the same time. I didn't call Ashleigh to let her know because, obviously, she didn't know about me and we were still mad at each other. But this morning I wasn’t mad and apparently she wasn’t mad at me anymore, either, because I'd gotten a text saying she'd go ahead and order my Grande Salted Caramel Mocha Frappuchino for me… with the added smiley face.

    At ten thirty, I was just finishing putting the makeup over my uh, bite marks. Just in case, I kept my hair around my shoulders to hide it even more. My hair was straightened perfectly, my makeup was light and pretty, and I was wearing a simple white top from Forever21, dark skinny jeans, and my chestnut short UGGs.

    When I walked outside, I was thankful I'd worn the UGGs; it was only sixty-five degrees!

    "Hello, fall," I muttered, crossing my arms as I walked to my car.

    About four months ago, we had the first Spirit Saturday. It was where the whole squad was supposed to meet at Starbucks, and we were just supposed to have time to bond and have fun and "build more team spirit". It was kind of pointless since most of the cheerleaders were friends and hung out all the time, and we always hung out at football games. But the captain, Rachel, noticed "little individual cliques within the team" and she wanted to "unite us better" so she came up with this. It was supposed to become a tradition. This is the second one we've had.

    I pulled into Starbucks the last of all cheerleaders. We had to eat outside because there were twenty-six of us. Luckily, about six didn't show up both times.

    "Bekka! I was beginning to think you couldn’t make it!" Ashleigh said as I came up. She smiled at me and stood up to hug me. 

    I smiled at her and hugged her. This was how we always resolved our fights: with a hug. "Of course I would be here! I am the co-captain," I said.

    She rolled her eyes, but was still smiling, signaling we were fine.

    I sat down next to her.

    At my school, the captain had to be a senior, and the co-captain had to be a junior. Otherwise, I would be captain. Everyone knew I would be next year, even if they still hoped. I was the best on the squad. I'd been told so by half of the squad, the captain, my mother, and the coach. Yeah. So I'm not being conceited, especially because I don't think I'm the best.

    "Thanks for my Frappuchino!" I said to Ashleigh, taking a sip.

    "No problem," she replied.

    "Okay! Now that everyone is here! I just wanted to thank you all for coming to Spirit Saturday!" Rachel, the captain, said, smiling brightly.

    I liked Rachel- I honestly, truly did- she just didn't have a smart bone in her body. Or an intelligent one. Or one with common sense. She just had peppy ones, a few nice ones, more mean ones, and two or three funny ones. Just saying.