These New Eyes, My New Life: Chapter 26

The mall with Ashleigh and Nila was good. It felt just like old times. When we were all normal best friends. No secrets, no vampire-ness, no bitchiness- just us. It was really fun. And we got lots of cute new clothes!

    Monday morning I decided to wear one of my cute new outfits. I wore dark skinny jeans, and a flowy hot pink top with a thick brown belt fastened around my waist. I wore two-inch high ankle boots that matched the belt. My hair was falling in soft, thick, shiny waves and my bangs were clipped to the top of my head, in a little tiny poof. I sprayed some PINK Perfume on and fastened some dangly earrings in my ears.

    With time to spare, I walked downstairs and into the kitchen, where no one was waiting for me. I popped a piece of bread in the toaster and hopped up on the counter, waiting for it to be done. When it finally shot up, I hopped off the counter, my hells making a loud clump on the hardwood floor. I put the toast on a plate and began to butter it.

    "Bek? Is that you down there?" my mom called. I could hear her coming down the stairs.

    "Yeah, mom," I called back.

    "Would you mind going up to Meredith's room? She wants you to do her hair," she said. She came around the corner and smiled at me.

    "Sure, mom," I said around a bite. Plat in hand, I made my way up the stairs and into Meredith's bright pink and purple princess-themed room.

    "Hey, Mere," I said. "Whatcha need?" I asked her.

    "Will you French braid my hair? You know how you do it sometimes? Where you start up here and then it has a side ponytail?" she asked me.

    I smiled. "Sure," I said.

    I set my plate on her dresser and walked over to her little vanity, where she sat in the chair waiting. I began braiding her bangs on the left side of her head.

    "So what do you need to get all unbelievably gorgeous for?" I asked her.

    "It's somebody's birthday today," she said.

    "Ooh, who's birthday?" I asked.

    My little sister actually blushed, and looked down, smiling bashfully.

    "Meredith," I said, poking her shoulder and smiling. "Whose birthday?"

    "Jacob's," she breathed.

    "How do I not know about a Jacob? Tell me everything!" I said.

    "Well, he's in my class at school. And I hung out with him at Brianna's party a little while ago. He's really, really cute and I really like him!" she said.

    I smiled. "You go girly! Obviously he likes you too, right?"

    "I think so. But I can't be sure," she said.

    "You know how I was able to tell if Cole really liked me too?" I asked.

    She shook her head. "How?"

    "By the way he smiled at me," I said simply. "You'll be able to tell. He won't smile at any other girl like that; it's special, just for you," I told her.

    Her eyes were wide, serious. "So I just have to see how he smiles at me, and how he smiles at other girls, and then I'll be able to tell?" she asked.

    I matched my expression to hers. "Just like that," I said. "And be sure to give him a big, happy birthday hug," I added.

    She smiled at me in the mirror. "Okay. Thanks Bekka," she said.