Chapter 54

-Rob's POV-
We were up for hours, almost until midnight, with Preston's slow learning capacity of contractions.

I told him quite a few of them, and progress was slow, but he was getting it for the most part. By midnight, he was just barely scraping by with the most commonly used contractions.

It was like he had an accent and the accent didn't allow contractions normally. His voice screwed up the pronunciation of the words, and made every one sound weird.

"K, now try and say the whole sentence."

"I doughn't want any brownies but eye'll take some of cookies."

"Sort of. You'll get it."

"What are brownies and cookies?"

"Sweets. Sugar and chocolate."

"Oh. Okay."

A soft knock tapped the door, and we both spun to look at the door.

A maid was there. She curtsied and softly said, "It's midnight, and it's recommended by the staff that you both sleep. Especially with injuries. You have a long day tomorrow."

"Thank you."

"Goodnight," She hesitated, "Rob."

"Why did she balk like that?"

"The staff doesn't like to call me by my name. They try to call me sir and always get corrected. They're adjusting to it though."

"Oh. I think we should heed what she said and go to bed."

"Okay. You want the bed?"

"To myself? No."

"Then do you want the couch?"

"Again, to myself? No."

"You don't wanna be alone, do you?"

"No."

"K. Just change and get in bed. I'm gonna get some water before bed."

I closed the door so he could change and went down to the dining hall for a glass of water.

I put the empty glass in the sink and headed back upstairs.

"Can I come in, Preston?" I asked, so I didn't walk in on him.

"Yes." A muffled voice replied.

I swung through the door and shut it with a soft click.

"Preston there are pillows you know. And a place for your head."

He was curled at the bottom of the bed in a ball.

"There is?"

"Yeah. Up here."

I got on the bed and wrapped my hands under his arms and pulled him to the top of the bed.

He curled under the blanket. He then laid his head on a pillow, and his orange-ish red hair fanned out on it. His bangs fell over his eyes and he was out like a light.

I laughed lightly. He must've been exhausted to fall asleep that fast. I lay down, covered up, and faced the wall like usual.

I was half asleep when I felt a warmth against my back. A weight fell in my waist, and when I looked, Preston's body was contorted to lay flat against mine, and his arm was the weight on my waist.

His breath tickled the back of my neck, and so did his hair, but I wasn't entirely sure he was aware of this. I mean, he was asleep. You do things unconsciously in your sleep.

He smiled in his sleep, and his head fell forward and lay directly against my neck. I fell asleep with his warmth.

This was gonna be awesome.