Chapter 14

"Wait. You live in the Bacca woods?"

"They are just woods, but yes."

"And they didn't eat you?"

"Are you crazy? Why would they eat me?"

"You're a prey animal, are you not?"

"No. And besides, the alpha took me in. He would never let the pack hurt me, much less eat me."

"So you've survived under the alpha? But I thought the alpha died several years ago."

"No. The alpha you are thinking of probably did, but his son- the alpha now- is the one I am talking about."

"That's awesome! Did the pack take to him?"

"Of course. They really had no other choice. He is respected."

She kept asking me questions about the pack for several hours before realizing it was getting fairly late. She picked me up carefully, grabbed Kenneth, and walked to a house down the road.

"Preston, do you need a lot of space to sleep, or can you sleep in a slightly confined space?"

"Either is okay."

She set me down on the kitchen countertop and walked down a hallway, returning several minutes later. She carried me down the hall and into a blue room. The door had a sign that said, 'Property of Kenny- Stay out'

I squirmed in Kara's arms, suddenly wary of where she was putting me. She was defying the rule on the door. She was basically forcing me to break a rule.

"What's gotten into you all of a sudden? Stop, I'll drop you."

"Read the door! If you put me in here, it will break the rule that is on the door. I do NOT break rules. Please do not force me to break a rule."

"What, the 'stay out' on the door? It's not an actual rule, sweetie. It's just a sign."

"Why are there illegitimate rules written on a sign? And how are rules all of a sudden able to be truly illegitimate?"

"Sweetie, it's a sign. Drop it."

I did as told, seeing as she was very serious. She finally set me down in a crib-like structure in the corner of the room. She gave me a blanket and pillow, then left as 'Kenny' came into the room for bed.

He turned the light off in the room, and noticed that I was lava, and glowed in the dark slightly. I saw him look at the goo lamp (aka 'lava' lamp) in the corner, look at me, look back at the lamp, and shrug. He went to bed.

I woke up to sunlight streaming through the window, and Kenneth still asleep, but now on the floor instead of the bed. Kara peeked into the room, saw me awake, and carried me out.

A little cruelly, still not used to the wieght difference, she set me on the floor, three feet down. I toppled suddenly, and hit the wooden floor, stunned. Looking down, I forced myself onto what feet I had yet, and tried to walk a few steps. I stumbled, but stayed upright. Kara looked proud of me.

I felt bad, because although she was being so nice, it made me feel like she was Mother, and it hurt me to think of her. I had betrayed her, left her before she woke, and did the opposite of what she told me. She was right the whole time, and I had downright ignored her. And I can only assume she died in vain because I left.

Tears slipped down my face, evaporating form my body heat. Kara scooped me up and set me down on the countertop in her kitchen while she made breakfast.

"What do you eat? Do you like bacon?"

"I can not eat meat."

"Why?" Startled.

"I am allergic. Do you have raspberries?"

"Oh! Yes I do. Would you like some waffles as well?"

"I do not know what waffles are. But okay. I will try one."

"Excellent. Breakfast'll be ready in a few minutes."