Chapter 43

-Mitch's POV-

I woke up to an unfamiliar voice arguing with a familiar one.

"The Nether has apples?"

"Yes, potash apples. Now put the apple down." The familiar voice demanded, calm but angry at the same time.

"Wait. A potash? What is a potash?"

"A type of apple."

"Haha very funny. But what is it?"

"Exactly as I told you. An apple from the Nether."

"Why are you so anxious about it?"

"When have you ever seen something helpful to a surface creature that came from the Nether?"

"Never."

"Exactly my point. Now stop digging through my belongings. Can you see yet?"

"A little bit."

"Give it a few more seconds. It will clear up."

"I can see now."

"Good."

Was Preston really here?

I didn't get up right away, wanting to rest my head a little longer, my headache fading as Jerome came back.

"Is Mitchell awake?"

"No. Why is he so tired?"

"He had a long day yesterday. He was trying to help his younger sibling Kenneth with something and it took longer than they expected."

"What was it?"

"I do not know."

I finally sat up- I turned to see Preston, a small slime, and Jerome on the floor- answering Preston.

"A bow. It was an Ultimate Bow."

"An ultimate bow? Why would you need one of those?"

"For hunting. For protection. For the sake of a weapon. I don't know."

"Mitch, bows are dangerous things."

"And so is Jerome."

"Hey!"

"No offense. But giving that argument is just stupid, Preston. Even you and the slime are dangerous. Everyone and everything is dangerous in some way."

"Fine. You pinned me there. But you could easily use a regular bow."

"The ultimate bow is super strong and it's an advanced recurve bow. It's my best chance at a good bow."

"Did you complete your task?"

"Not yet. It's almost done though."

"What yet do you need?"

"The string needs to be taut before I can use it. But that'll take minutes. It's not some three day thing. It's almost done as it is."

Jerome glanced at me lazily, a smirk on his face. He was clearly amused that Preston was arguing with me.

Movement shifted my attention. The little slime was holding a white apple in his hands, almost like he was debating whether or not to eat it.

Preston didn't seem to notice, now focused on me.

The slime bit into the apple, and started to eat it, but once he finished the first bite, he threw it down and curled in a ball, screaming.

Preston spun at the crunching sound of the apple, then surprisingly started to cuss like a sailor. I won't repeat the words he said, but they weren't nice.

"Pete, are you mad?! What part of 'Do not eat the apple' do you not get?!"

The slime relaxed and stopped screaming, sitting up and wincing a little.

"Why the freak do you have that thing?! Why do you have a bagful of them?"

"I can eat them, you stupid child! Do you not recall our earlier argument over this exact apple?!"

"What even was that?"

"Poison."

"Preston, why are you carrying poisonous food?" I asked, curious.

"The effects do not work on creatures of the dimension. They are a perfectly good source of food."

"But they aren't good for any other creature?"

"If you hail from the dimension of the fruits, they do not affect you. If you do not naturally hail from the dimension, the fruits will be harmful to your body. So yes."

"You did not say that!"

"I do so!"

"He did."

"Do not touch my bag again, Pete. It will be very regretful."