Chapter 48

-Preston's POV-
"What is it? Brice, what is it?"

"How would I know?"

"You're a sorcerer, aren't you?"

"Yeah. And I'm magically supposed to know this?"

"Well, I thought you would've read about it or something."

"Ty. When have you seen me read?"

"..."

"Exactly. Just grab the net. Don't touch it. We'll take it with us."

The one picked up the corners of the net carefully. Now that they were not silhouettes from the sunlight, I could properly study them.

The one holding the net- whom I assumed was Ty- was tall and wiry. He had chin length brown hair that covered one maroon colored eye. The eye I could see was taking in the scene around him, making sure he missed no details.

The other, the one I guessed was named Brice, had lemon blond hair that stuck up and cobalt blue eyes. He was quite tall and well-built. When he spoke, I heard an accent to his voice.

The one named Ty dragged the net to a pair of horses.

I had had bad experiences as a young child with horses. I had gotten trampled by a stampeding wild herd in my home meadow.

Horses do not like me. Period.

The horses in front of us shifted, and one widened its eyes as it saw me.

The horse spooked, rearing, and when it came down, its hoof missed my leg by a mere inch.

I shrunk back in the net, but Ty grabbed the net and tied it to the relaxed horse, securing the net over the backend of the horse.

He put me in a net, on a horse. This was not ending well. And it did not.

Once spurred, the horses took off, but Ty had not secured the net well, and I hit the ground with a thump. The net rolled open and I slipped out, bruised from the fall.

Brice spins his horse and rides past me. He did not even stop, and grabbed my leg as he dipped himself sideways. He sat up and I was lifted onto the horse in front of him.

"Ty, you didn't tie it right."

"It was secure! I checked."

"Clearly you didn't. If you had, I wouldn't be holding it right now. I don't even know if it's safe to touch."

"I am not dangerous, idiots."

They both flinched, and then they both looked at me.

"You talk? English?"

"I have learned it, yes." I said, sarcastic and angry.

"Where'd you learn?"

"Why?"

"Because you speak formally from what I heard."

"I have said merely a few words. How can you have deducted that from a few short sentences?"

"Because I'm not an idiot. I can tell formal from modern easily. There's a distinct difference."

"Why did you put me in the net? Where are you trying to take me?"

"Right to the point, eh? We were going to get you some food and shelter."

"But I have both."

"Where?"

"Shelter is with the baccas, and food is right here."

I pulled my pouch to where they could see it.

"What kind of food?"

"Nether food."

"Nether?"

"My kind is lava. Did you expect the End?"

"No, it's just I didn't know the Nether had food at all."

"There are apples and four types of berry. The trees are beautiful sights to see."

"I know. I've been there," Brice interrupted, "but how do you live there and yet I've never seen one of your kind?"

"Most live under the lava, some live along the edges of it, and I live in a top shelf. You will never find us. We are very efficient in camouflage."

"Welp. You're coming whether you like it or not."

He spurred the horse and off we went, me growling and bored.