Chapter 33

Despite Jerome growling at Rob as we left, he led me to the castle, only to get immediately bombarded by who I assumed to be 'higher-ups'.

It was a small group of 5 adults- 3 women and 2 men. They were all dressed in heavy, thick, dark material that made them visibly sweat.

"Robert have you thought about what we told you?"

"Where on god's green earth did you go?"

"Do you know the risk of leaving?"

"Did your mother teach you nothing?"

They all froze, and looked at the woman who said that. Rob looked close to tears.

Meanwhile I was sitting on the floor next to Rob, totally confused. It occurred to me I had neither met nor seen his mother. Even the throne was covered by a white sheet. Had she died? Had she left?

Rob picked me up, and ran up the grand staircase to his room.

Still pondering possibilities, Rob answered my questions, brushing away tears, voice whispery.

"My mom... I never actually met her. She died a few minutes after I was born. It apparently put too much stress on her body..."

"Rob, honestly, I never had a father. You were lucky to have one."

"And you were lucky to have a mom."

"Mine was too protective, but I now I have gone back to find history I cannot remember..."

He smiled a little, brushing the last of his tears.

"Guess we make two halves of a whole family."

"Now two quarters of a whole family, technically."

"What? What happened to your mom?"

"Archer. He shot her right outside our cove. By the way, that archer is cursed. Seto messed him up pretty bad."

"I heard. And I'm sorry bout your mom, Preston."

"It is fine. I have learned to get past the bad thoughts and move to the good ones. But I need to find my own way. Rob, this is wonderful, and I love being here, but I need to keep away from civilian life as much as possible. They have practically ruined my life and I am not wanted around here. Humans are very hostile creatures."

"Okay. Be careful then."

"I will do as my species should do. Survive."

"Okay. Bye, Preston."

"Goodbye, Rob."

I left feeling slightly guilty about leaving him, but on the other hand, it was neccessary.

I told Jerome the same thing.

"I need to find my own way. I cannot spend my whole life being given everything. I have to do what I was actually meant to do. I do not even understand how my kind has even gotten to the sun. We belong in the lava, with the Quartz and ghasts."

Mitch looked shocked by my last sentence.

"Are you seriously going back to the Nether?! Preston do you even know what's there?"

"Of course. It is programmed into my being. I know everything I must to survive. Even what kinds of fruit is in abundance in the Nether. But it is home, and I need to return to it."

"Very well, Preston. Good luck finding a portal."

"Oh that shall not be hard."