Ch. 35~ First shows and first realisations

~ Emma's POV~

"Thank you London!" I yelled into the microphone.

Screams erupted everywhere as we jogged off of the stage, drenched in sweat and tired, but ecstatic because of our performance. We all put our instruments back on the racks backstage.

"Great performance guys!" Zayn yelled.

"Yeah!" Liam agreed.

Niall engulfed me in a hug and then screamed, "Eww! You're so sweaty!"

"Oh, yeah?" I smirked.

I jumped on his back and he started squealing like a little girl.

"Niall! Shut up! They're starting their set!" Harry yelled once he was done laughing.

"Take me to the showers!" I demanded and he began running towards them.

"Guys! Stop! Lets race!" Louis yelled.

Emily jumped onto his back and they stood next to us. CeCe pulled out her iPhone and Kaitlyn yelled go. Niall and Louis took off while Emily and I were holding on for deal life. Niall and I were ahead by a few steps, until he tripped and we went crashing down. Louis and Emily ultimately won. Niall and I laid on the floor laughing. CeCe put her phone away, assuming she uploaded it to Keek.

Niall got up and held out his hand. I grabbed onto it and he helped me up. Once we were done laughing, we all walked to the showers, Niall and Louis meeting the other boys behind the stage. I stripped inside one of the bathroom stalls, wrapping a towel around my body. I hurriedly scurried into one of the showers, closing the blue curtain behind me. I hung the towel on the little hook on the concrete wall and turned on the shower.

"It's fucking freezing!" I squealed, jumping back out of the waters reach.

"CeCe!" I yelled. "CeCe! It's not getting warmer!"

"Try turning the different knob, dipshit!" She laughed.

"I did!" I called as it began to warm up. "That's better!"

I stepped back under the water and it became scolding, "Fuck! I think I just got third-degree burns!"

CeCe started laughing and I turned off the shower. I wrapped the towel around my body and stepped out. My hair was freezing cold, but my body was burning. I looked at CeCe who was videotaping me.

"Fuck. You." I huffed and walked back to the dressing rooms.

I heard CeCe call behind me, "That's not very nice!", but I kept on walking. I stormed into the dressing room and put on the clothes I had brought from our residence to change in. I slipped on the navy, flannel pants, Light The Night long sleeve tee, black Northface jacket and white, no-show socks. I laid on the couch and turned on the flat screen TV. I found a channel that was playing music videos, so I left that on.

I began to notice a slight ringing noise in my ear, which was odd. I decided on ignoring until my hearing began to waver. I brought my hand up to my cochlear implant and realised I didn't take it out when I showered.

"Shit!" I muttered, shooting up from the couch.

I began weaving through the back hallways of the O2 stadium, searching for CeCe- mainly- or Niall. I ran into the shower room where CeCe was blow drying her hair.

"Emma, - wrong?" She asked as I missed the middle word.

"My cochlear!" I yelled, not hearing myself.

"What!" Her eyes widened.

Now, the noises were very faint and wavering, like we were underwater.

"I got it wet!" I yelled, no longer able to hear myself.

"How?" I could read her lips.

"Forgot to take it out for the shower!" I could still speak, I just couldn't hear myself.

"C'mon!" She signed to me, realising I could not hear anymore.

I followed her through the back hallways and we walked by the stage where the 5SOS boys were coming off and the 1D guys were heading onto the stage. I saw her began frantically yelling at Ashton. The other boys began to look from her to me.

Then, CeCe grabbed my arm and dragged me back to the lounge. She set me on the couch and went over to speak to the boys. I then saw Michael pacing across the room talking on the phone with someone; he handed over the phone to CeCe and she began pacing around as well.

Nearly an hour went by. One full hour of confusion and silence, boredom and worry. Soon, everyone was in the back lounge, I assumed they were asking what was wrong. I sat there, no one talking to me- they couldn't-, no one offering any comfort- which I really didn't need-, but no one just sat next to me and forgot about the current predicament.

Everyone was worrying over a little microphone that made me feel like a robot. No one was indulging the fact that they could have spent time with the real me. That actually made me feel different, for once. They always made me feel so normal, with my out-of-place accent, out-of-place style, and out-of-place ear accessory (the cochlear).

Eventually, I stood up and left the back lounge, no one even noticing I had left.