Chapter 13 - Plan Interrupted

"Then Jacob woke up and chased him away," I stated. I had told this story five times already today. It was the day after Ian broke into the house. I repeated the message to the pack and now Sam, Jacob, and I were at the Cullens telling them. Jacob and the rest of the pack didn't catch Ian or the others last night. Jacob sat holding one of my hands, gently rubbing it with his thumb. "He is very bold to come into your house like that," Carlilse stated in thought.

     I stared around the Cullen house. It was very clean and open. The house was absolutely breath-taking. You wouldn't know vampires lived here. All of them sat around us, listening to the conversation. "So what are we going to do about them?" a women who I took as Esme asked from Carlilse's side. "Destroy them," Jacob said through clenched teeth, squeezing my hand. "Can't you just stop tracking them like he said," I asked looking back and forth between each person. "It's not that simple," Bella replied from the couch. "Why not?" I question turning to look at Jacob. "Because they won't hold to their word," a big guy exclaimed from behind Bella. I didn't know who he was even though Jacob had told me all their names. He was clearly the biggest of them all. "Emmett's right," Edward spoke from beside Bella on the couch. He must have read my mind, I thought glancing at him in time to see a smirk form on his face.

      "We have to kill them in order to end this," Sam said from my other side. "Yeah pull them apart and burn the pieces," Emmett piped in with excitement. I was surprised at how eager he was to fight. What he said brought back the image that unfolded in the woods with Ian's mate, Rebecca. It was getting a little too much for me too handle. "I need some air," I say standing and walking to the front door. The chilly air hit me once I stepped outside. I sat on the steps, letting my thoughts roam. I could hear the mumur of voices inside. I tried not to think about them discussing how to kill the other vampires. Then the door opened and closed behind me.

     Jacob came and sat down beside me. He wrapped his arms around me, pulling me close to him. I laid my head against his chest, letting his warmth comfort me. "You ok?" he finally asked after several minutes of silence. "No Jacob, I'm not," I reply trying to keep my voice even. "Its going to be ok," he exclaimed. I leaned up so that I could look at him. "How do you know that Jacob? How do you know the plan is going to work? How do you know that nothing will go wrong? What about an unknown variable that no one saw coming?" I ask feeling myself get worked up. Jacob remained quiet and just listened as I went on. "I don't know what I'd do if anyone got hurt. It'd be all my fault and I wouldn't be able to stand it. I can't lose anyone else in my life. I can't lose you. I'm going to be in one place while you're in another fighting these killers. I'm scared of the possibility that something won't go as planned and I'd never see you again," I rambled, almost to the point of tears. I stopped and looked at Jacob. He pulled me tightly to him again. "You'll never lose me Hayley. I know it's scary. It's scary for me too but I need to do this. I need to protect you from these threats. I want you to trust that I'll be ok and that I would never let anything happen to you," Jacob stated kissing the top of my head, hugging me. "I do Jake," I reply hugging him back.

     We sat there in each other's embrace until the door reopened. "Someone's coming," Sam exclaimed coming to a stop behind us. "I can't tell who it is but they're coming fast," Alice piped in, coming from behind Sam. Jacob and I stood up to face them when we heard loud rustling in the woods next to the Cullen's house. I tensed at the sound, afraid to know what was coming. Then suddenly out walked Seth and Leah. They were out of breath and stopped just outside the edge of the woods. Sam, Jacob, and I ran to meet them while Alice and the rest of the Cullens filed onto the steps. "What's wrong?" Sam demanded. "Problem - back at - reservation," Leah began still trying to catch her breath. "What is it?" Jacob questioned. I looked between them all, waiting for an answer. "Sam - your house - on fire," Seth got out finally. Sam's eyes grew wide and he took off into the woods.

     My heart almost stopped. The house was on fire. everything up in flames. "Hold on," Jacob commanded turning me to face him. I jumped on his back and he ran into the woods. The Cullen house faded into the background as Jacob, along with Seth and Leah, ran toward the reservation. The trees were flying by as we ran. All these images flashed through my head of our house on fire. I buried my face in Jacob's shoulders, praying that it was all going to be ok. Before I knew it we were out of the woods. We all came to a stop and Jacob let me down.

     In a few more seconds the rest of the pack was standing with us, Sam a little in front. We all stared at the house in front of us. It was engulfed in flames. The heat radiating from it was intense and almost to much to bare. Looking at it made me feel weak. I grabbed Jacob's arm to hold me up. Then a thought crossed my mind that sprung tears to my eyes. I felt all the color out of my face drain. My throat felt like it was closing as I tried to say what was on my mind. "Sam....Sam," I said not taking my eyes off the flames, not sure if he could hear me. Sam turned to look at me. Seeing how I looked, he walked to stand in front of me. "What is it Hayley?" he asked touching my shoulder. The rest of the pack gathered closer to listen. I closed my eyes to blink back the tears. I felt Jacob squeeze my hand for encouragement. I took a deep breath and looked up at Sam, scared of the answer to what I was about to ask.

"Where's Emily?"