Chapter 11 - Run

"Babe, hurry up or it'll be Christmas before we get back to Sam's," Jacob hollered back at me. "Sorry if I'm not a freaking werewolf that doesn't have to catch a breath Jake," I say exasperated leaning a hand against the nearest tree to keep myself steady. Ever since I found out about these new vampires roaming around I couldn't go anywhere by myself. The pack and the Cullens have been tracking them but still haven't caught them. I was on my usual run through the woods behind Sam's house and Jacob insisted on coming with me, which I didn't mind because I hadn't seen him a lot since Sam has put the whole pack on double duty. Plus he wasn't wearing a shirt, so I had something good to look at.

      I put my hands on my knees to catch my breath. I had to run extra fast to keep up with Jacob. Jacob came jogging casually back to me. "We're only a couple yards from the house Hayley," he said coming to a stop beside me. "Give me a few minutes," I sigh sliding down the tree to sit on the ground with my back to it. "Whoa what happened to your arm?" Jake asked kneeling down. I turned my arm to reveal a gash in it with blood trickling down. "Oh I must have done it trying to stay with you and didn’t feel it," I reply looking at Jacob. "It looks pretty gruesome," Jacob chuckled. I shoved him a little but of course he barely moves. "Can you get me something for it?" I question. "Well come on and we'll get something at the house," he said standing and extending his hand. "No, can't you just get it? I'm still too out of breath and you said it was only a few yards away which is like a few feet for you,” I exclaim, looking back at my arm.“I don’t know Hayley.It’s dangerous out here in the woods.” Jacob stated, looking around the trees surrounding us.“I’ll be fine for the couple of minutes you are gone.” I say, looking up at him.He sighed and looked down at me.“OK I’ll be right back.Don’t move and call if anything happens.” he replies.“I won’t move an inch,” I say with a smile.He smiles and leans down to kiss me before taking off in the blink of an eye.I laid my head back against the tree and closed my eyes.

     Taking deep breaths, I get my breathing back to normal.After a minute or two, I hear twigs snap up the path. Jacob is trying to scare me, I thought with a smirk. “Don’t even try.You’re not going to scare me Jake-“ I say standing and turning to face the noise but to be silenced by the sight.The sound didn’t come from Jacob, but in the path stood four people.Three guys and a girl.They all had very pale skin like Bella; however, they had blood-red eyes instead of the golden topaz color.There was no doubt in my mind that these were the vampires that the pack had been tracking.“We didn’t mean to startle you, but we couldn’t help but smell you,” the tallest one said.The girl to his right had brown curly hair and had her arm linked with his.The two other guys weren’t as tall but were built.I took the one who spoke as their leader.

     A shiver went up my spine when he said that.Smell you.I immediately covered my cut with my hand.“Um, you need to leave.My boyfriend is part of the wolf pack that’s been tracking you,” I said, trying to sound intimidating.The leader just laughed.The courage drained out of me.“Can we just kill her already?” one of the guys asked.My heart stopped for a second.They were going to kill me, but for some reason my feet wouldn’t move.“Calm yourself Antony.You and Hector will have your chance.” The leader replied, holding up his hand in their direction.“OK Ian,” Antony, I suppose, answered.“Rebecca, darling, ladies first,” Ian motioned toward me.Rebecca smiled.“Thank you.She smells mouthwatering,” she spoke, taking steps toward me.I stood watching her come toward me, death in her eyes.I couldn’t outrun them and I was out of screaming distance.I tried to blink back tears but I couldn’t stop some from falling.She came closer and closer, the guys remaining in their spots, watching with delight, ready to pounce once I was down.She was a few feet away now.The pain from my arm was nothing compared to that in my heart.I wouldn’t see my family or Jacob again.They’d find my drained body in the woods.The heartbreaking thing was that it’d be Jacob who would discover me first.

      A sudden motion snapped me from my thoughts.I was pushed to the ground, not by Rebecca but by a small brown wolf.It was Seth.Jacob was attacking Rebecca, who was also on the ground.In less then ten seconds, the whole pack was surrounding the scene.The three vampires were in a fighting stance but straightened after seeing that they were outnumbered. “You’ll pay for this.I hope you liked your life before because now it’ll change for the worse,” Ian spat before running away with the other two.Then I heard ripping.I glanced to see Sam and Paul ripping Rebecca apart while Quil and Embry started a fire.I looked away.I’d heard about this from Jacob but never actually wanted to see it.Jacob was back in human form and by my side.He wrapped his arms around me and picked me up.“Are you ok?” Jacob asked, looking into my eyes.The tears reformed.I shook my head and buried my head into his chest.He cradled me there as the fire grew bigger and the smoke rose into the afternoon air.