There was an awkward silence, neither of us knowing what to say.

"Can I see?" He asked, gesturing to my camera that was resting on my lap.

"Um, yeah, sure." I hesitated, before handing it to him.

I watched as he flipped through my photos. Before I knew it, I was full-on staring. Stripped of his usual smirk and arrogant gaze, he looked exactly like the boy I'd seen on his Instagram. Vulnerable. Young. Beautiful.

His eyes looked especially blue, and I could see all the specks and twinkles in his iris. My eyes drifted down to the birthmark under his eye, and it was so much more prominent than I'd originally thought. I'd never been able to admire him from this close before, and I felt as if my eyes had been opened to something different.

"Wow."

I blinked and concentrated on what he was saying. "What?"

"They're really good." He commented, grinning at me.

"Really?" I smiled slightly.

"Why do you look so surprised? It's the best I've ever seen. You're better than the professionals." He praised.

"Thanks." I blushed. "I just-I-"

"What?" He raised his eyebrows at me, concerned.

"No snide comments? No cocky looks? Pathetic pick-up lines?" I blurted out.

"Nice to know that that's all you think of me." He laughed, but it wasn't condescending in any way.

"Can you really blame me?" I asked.

"Good point." He chuckled. "But seriously though, you're an amazing photographer."

I bit my lip. "Thank you."

"I feel like no one tells you that enough." He said, seeing my expression.

My eyes shot up to his, and I realised he was right. "I guess."

"Well, looks like I'm just going to have to be the one to tell you constantly, then." He sighed, playfully. "You're an amazing photographer."

I laughed. "I don't even know what to say."

"You don't need to say anything." He smiled, sincerely.

And that smile unlocked a small, selfish part of me. I was kind of glad Tyler, Joe, and Caspar were too busy to join me, because it meant that I could see the rare, genuine Troye. And I had him all to myself.

"You zone out a lot, don't you?" He asked, handing back my camera.

"What?" I said, snapping out of my thoughts. "Oh, yeah."

"What do you think about?" He asked, interested.

"Oh, nothing much." I shrugged, not wanting to tell him the truth. "Just some things."

"Like what?" He fiddled with the hem of his sweater.

"I usually think of what could be. Like the future, and things that I want to happen, but probably never will." I replied.

He nodded, and I was scared he was about to judge me.

I don't know what I was so worried about.

He grinned. "I think a lot, too."

"You do?" I asked hopefully.

"Yeah, but I tend to think about the present more." He stated. "Because I don't want to regret anything in my life."

"Oh, so that's why you..." I trailed off, slowly. That's why you sleep with everyone.

"Why I what?" He asked.

"Nothing, nothing." I mumbled.

He hummed in response. "So, apart from photography, what else are you good at?"

We kept talking for a while, and it felt so natural. Halfway through our conversation about Alessia Cara, I realised not many people were able to see Troye like this - open and real. We had a lot more in common than I'd originally imagined, and every time he smiled, I could just see the happiness and passion seeping through. And, in a way, it made me feel happy, too. If he continued to show this side of him to me, I could definitely imagine us being friends in the future.

We were interrupted when my phone vibrated, telling me that Zoe was done and probably already waiting for me.

"I need to go, sorry." I said to Troye, standing up.

"Oh, okay. I'll see you tomorrow." He smiled.

"See you. Bye." I replied, before walking away.

I hurried back to the cafe, where I spotted Zoe standing by herself.

"Zoe!" I called.

She turned around, with a huge grin on her face. "Connor!"

"How was it?" I asked, walking over to her and giving her a big hug.

"Oh my God. He's so amazing." She gushed, wrapping her arms around me. "It really was actually a date and we talked and laughed and he is just the most beautiful person ever. I don't know what I was so worried about."

I laughed, as we began walking back to campus. "So I'm assuming you had a good time?"

Her eyes widened. "I had an amazing time."

"That's good." I nodded.

"I just can't wipe the grin off my face. I'm so happy." She beamed. "Let me tell you everything..."

I smiled, and it wasn't just because Zoe was happy.

I smiled, because for the first time in six months, I felt butterflies in my stomach.

And I kind of liked it.

~~~

Okay so I wasn't planning on updating so soon but I wrote this chapter last night and I really really don't like it. I just feel like it's not the best writing I could do, and I just wanted to post it because it was really frustrating me and I wanted it out of the way. But I probably will come back and rewrite it another day :)

Also don't expect another update from me any time soonish (within the next 5 or so days) because I've posted like 4 times in the past 5 days and I need to write this other fic I just started (which may be posted soon but don't expect it within the next month)

- see you guys next chapter -